Any ideas?

T-bird Tim

I had nmy motor overhauled two weeks ago. While in the shop I had it bored 30 over and installed larger fuel injectors. I drove it for a week then took it to get tuned. During the dyno run the engine started making a bad knock so I took it back to the shop that built the motor. They had it for two days and told me that one of the head bolts had backed out about an inch and a half. They put new head bolts in it and I took it. New problem now. It seems to have a miss at low speeds but does fine at highway speeds. I changed the plugs and wires still no fix. I am waiting for my new sampling tube to get here so I can get the tune finished. When I am at a light or stopped anywhere with the car in gear and my foot on the brake; the whole car shakes as if it wants to be a drag car. It's feels like an even miss and is very rhythmic. I have to put it in neutral so it will smooth out. Any ideas or does it just need the tuning finished?

:eek: uhm.... did they take all the bolts out, install new HG's and put in new bolts all the way around?????????

Frit

It ended up being a head bolt had backed out. They put it back in with lock-tight. I had the tune finished and it's running great now.

T-bird Tim said:
It ended up being a head bolt had backed out. They put it back in with lock-tight. I had the tune finished and it's running great now.

Good luck gettin THAT back out in the future. SERIOUSLY.... I think I would be looking for a different mechanic, or just do the work myself.

T-bird Tim said:
They had it for two days and told me that one of the head bolts had backed out about an inch and a half.

:eek: It must have been just about floppin around loose in there if it backed out THAT far.

T-bird Tim said:
New problem now. It seems to have a miss at low speeds but does fine at highway speeds.

"New problem now".... as in... it didn't do this BEFORE the dyno run and resulting "bad knock"?

Good luck with it.... hope it just turns out that you need to get it tuned better.

No doubt! They wont be getting any more money from me. There's a little tuner shop here in town I may start going to. I know, they deal mostly with imports but I wont hold that against them. I'm going to talk to them tomorrow about a custom front mount. If I can get enough people interested I may be able to get a nice one put together for the SCs that you could get alot cheaper and put in a better place than the Magnum powers front mount. I have heard about several people who have used the MP front mount and had to get rid of their A/C. I drive my car every day so would not want to make that trade. I think it would make more sence to put it at a 45 degree angle behind the front bumper. At that angle it would more easily pull in air from underneath the front of the car.

Back