Flywheel Surface Cracks...?

littleboylan

I am wondering if anyone has seen the flywheel with little cracks were the clutch engages at?

When I took mine out today, we noticed that its worn pretty bad, and there were cracks on the inner most part of it. Is it possible to get it resurfaced enough to remove them stress cracks, or should I be looking for a new flywheel?

Thanks Mike

For safety reasons alone, that thing should be tossed and a new one bought and installed. If those cracks spread and things fly apart at 5500 RPM's I'd wouldn't even want be on the same street as you.

Frit

They are very small, just starting to be able to feel them with your fingernail.

But I am leaning towards what your saying, and just get me a new one, Ill see what the machine shop says.

Thanks Mike

Man, you got right to it after the track on Friday. Hopefully you can get it finished before the shootout, and it solves the problems you were having

Yeah I did get to it, we actually did it all today. Thanks to Mark 91BLOWNSC for lending a hand. We got it all taken out in about 2.5 hours or so.

So Ryan, do you have a decent flywheel at your house you could express ship me?

Let me know, I need one ASAP. Thanks Mike

Mike here are some pics of the flywheel. It was removed from a 92, and it had alot of material left on the clutch when we took it out. Its a Ford part and looks like its in good shape minus the surface rust. It is smooth all the way across, as in there is no recess where the clutch has worn away at it.

Heres a link to the Advance Auto Parts site, looks like its a long lead item though
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=SFW&mfrpartnumber=734&parttype=267&ptset=A

Last edited:
No little hairline cracks in that?

If not, how fast you think you could get that thing shipped here?

I appreciate it.

Mike

Let me take a scotch brite pad to it tomorow to remove the rust, clean it up with some brake clean and I'll get back to you. I'll post some more pics after and if its good i can ship it out on wednesday, if you'll pick up the tab for the shipping;)

LOL, I dont expect anything for NOTHING.

I wasnt saying I WANTED it, I was saying Id buy it from you :eek:

But yea let me know what you find,

THanks MIke

Those arent cracks in the flywheel. Its from the clutch slipping making a glaze on it. I know exactly the kid of "cracks" you are talking about. I got them when I found out a stock clutch isnt sufficient for a modified sc. They can be surfaced out. I forget the exact thickness you will need but they really cant take much off it. And it will need shimmed. If its been surfaced before, its junk.

Thanks appreciate the reply, Maybe Ill still take the flywheel down to the Machine Shop and see what they say.

I can also feel a groove on the top were the clutch rides, and Im thinking maybe theres too much identation to be taking out.

We'll see.

Mike

heres the pics after i cleaned it up, i would still have it turned just to have a perfect surface so it does not affect your new clutch.

Last edited:
Ryan, I think Im going to see if the machine shop is capable of turning them out first tomorrow, so If they cant, Ill give you a shout, can you give me your number so we dont have to play PM tag :eek:

See ya man, Mike

Check your PM's for my phone, its yours for what you think its worth its just sitting around here in my garage.

Resurfaced

My flywheel was resurfaced, and looks PERFECT.

Ryan it looks like I wont have to bother you with shipping out your flywheel for me. I appreciate the offer though.

My question is this.

They only had to take off .015" of the surface. So do I really need a shim for this?

Thanks MIke

YES, you do. I think the shim I got was for a ford festiva. I deleted some old PM's I had about the exact thickness and tolerances for the flywheel, but I do know that they were very precise.

I'm going to look up the specs so they can be archived in this thread.

All I did was shim the slave cylender with some sheet metal. Was easy to make and worked like a charm. .015 is what they took off of mine and i used some heating ductwork for the shim.

Back