timing question

adisont

i just got my scanner in today and i was curious about the base timing on my car. if i pull the spout connector should i read a steady reading of 10 btdc or what? i didn't get what i was expecting when i pulled it. the car stumbled but recovered and the reading didn't really change.

ok, still looking here. i still can't find the answer to the question, i guessing that when the spout is removed the timing goes to 10 btdc, that would be verified with a timing light on the harmonic balancer. haven't gotten that far yet. anyone with a scanner that can verify what the eec will read with the spout removed? i found one post that asked the same question and no answer either. also, what kinda timing numbers are you guys getting at wot and i know the ecc goes to an open loop at wot, but at the o2 sensor reading still valid. mine goes to about .9 volts. i know these cars go way rich on wot.

ok, i don't get a cel light, but the engine will stumble when the spout is removed. with the engine off the scanner reads 10 deg, but following the sticker on the core support it says to start the engine to verify the timing. when i do that the timing anywhere from 15 to 20ish.

i'm have not changed the hb, just tring to figure out if it maybe bad, no wobble, but the car seems sluggish. i didn't get the readings i was expecting on the scanner. i thought with the spout removed the ecc lost control of the timing, however it seems as it still adjusts it with the spout removed.

I had the sluggish problem when I put on the new MAF and CAI almost like a vacuum leak it would idle really rough cold but got fine when it warmed up. thats why I was wondering about maybe a HB upgrade or maybe a new CAI because on mine it turned out I had a problem with the hose that connects to the side of the CAI. it actually had a gaping hole in it.:eek:

ok, i think i have an answer, with the spout removed the computer can't control the timing even though it still trys to and that is the reading i see on the scanner. anyone know if this is correct?

That is correct. If you put a timing light on it you will see only 10 deg.

You can't check your HB that way though because the timing that you see is being read off the balancer (garbage in garbage out).

i haven't been able to find my timing light yet. guess that will be next. what about the using the scanner to read the wot a/f ratio. mine show around .9 at wot. is this number valid since it is in an open loop. my first thought is yes, but would like to have some other input. if the balancer checks out i'm gonna start to open up the intake and exhaust and add a pulley.

Back