drained radiator...runningn really cool. air bubbles?

Merlon

so i hated how my car in summer ran at the R most of the time, even after a 20 minute drive.

i drained the radiator and overflow tank, filled with water, and stopsoverheating
http://www.vichubbard.com/shop/product.php?productid=63674&cat=2534&page=1

and now it never goes past the N. i know water has less boiling point, and i alays thought it would get hotter with more water (boils , but the instructions said to use 80% water and 20% antifreeze. making it run up to 40*F cooler.

So either its working or my temp gauge sucks, or something. i dont know. how can i get an accurate reading of my operating temps?

thermometer in the radiator?
sorry to ask a silly question, but how do i measure the actuall temps?

thnanks for all the help.
ive also bought and installed the GM air dam
run the hs fan on a switch, but rarely. usually use the Ls fan.
thanks again. just dont want to blwo a Hg:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Whenever Ive had air bubbles, the temp gauge ran REALLY Hot. Did you fill it through the coolant tube at the top of the engine??

- Dan

sup dan

yeah i filled the radiator till it was full, ran the engine without the cap for a few minutes till the fluid was gone, filled it up, capped the radiator off, and filled the overflow tank to "full hot"

the valve to burp the coolant is locked up tight, and i dont want to break it, so im trying to make sure the minnimum amount of air is in there.

so maybe its fine, and its all workign sweet.
or maybe the temp gauge is shot. how can i tell what the temp it?

Water is a better coolant than antifreeze. They recommend 50/50 blend in order to protect against freezing in cold climates. However, if you're in a warm climate, freezing is not a problem.

I run a 75% distilled water / 25% antifreeze (ethelyne glycol) blend in all of my S/C's with good results. I use the antifreeze to raise the boiling point somewhat, and provide to anticorrosion protection and waterpump lubricant. I also use one bottle of RedLine WaterWetter in each car to enhance heat transfer.

Along with a 180 deg. thermostat, I have good luck. All of my cars are completely stock, and in good running condition. Others recommend changing the fan settings, aftermarket radiator, etc. to increase cooling, but this coolant set-up seems to work fine for me. It's hot where I live, so it should work for other warm-climate owners also. Just beware if you live where it gets cold in the winter. If you have a modified car, this might not be enough cooling for you.

Hope this helps,

JD

california sees triple

digits only a few days out of the year. and i hardly ever see a day below 40*

i guess i learned wrong then, i was always under the impression with only water the cooling system wouldnt work right.

so i am running a stocker Tstat. i might chagne that, but if im running below N while punching it im happy.

ill run it on the freeway soon enough. my car almost never sees open roads.

You need to crack open the burp valve and fill it up there. Chances are you might have an air pocket inside the engine, you never know. Ive had a 3.8 Tbird that overheated because it wasnt filled up properly. Better to be safe than sorry.

- Dan

Back