int. fuses

TinManSC92

CON-FUSED on fuses. I was just reading about some of the electrical problems and i find myself with a similiar problem. when i put in a new fuse for the dash lights they worked fine until i closed my door. then they went out along with my tail lights do u have any suggestions?:(

maybe but i doubt it

check the multi function switch post and look in the trunk on the drivers side under the carpet there should be a clip there that came undone on my 95 but it sounds like there is a short along the way.......... sorry i can't help more i am dealing with the same on my 95
good luck
cody

thanx. I appreciate that tip. i've owned 4 t-birds now and i've never experienced any electrical problems before this s.c.:confused: must be some different parts they used or some thing.

short fused

:mad: bye the bye. here's something you might want to ponder? when i replaced the fuse for my int. lights they worked fine as i said earlier. what has really freaked me out is when i shut my door to drive away. the int. lights went out as well as my tail lights , when i open the door the int. lights came back on as well as the tail lights :eek: open the door lights on close the door lights off. hmmm. query? what does the door chime, int. lights, dash lights( which is the fuse i replaced) and rear tail lights all have in commom. so i took the dash board lights fuse back out so i could have tail lights and side marker lights again. ( or drive home with the drivers door open):rolleyes: does ant of this make sense to you?

well nothing about these cars makese sense to me but as for the never having electrical problems your lucky my first time out and i am in electrical hell with mine
the only reason i suggest the switch is because in other posts that seems to be it ALOT so just an avenue to try
good luck
cody

There are two electrical switches working when you close your door. The door jamb switch which turns on/off the dome light and the door latch switch which tells the car when the door is actually open/closed. Does this lighting phenomenon happen if you close the door and are standing outside as well as when you are sitting inside? My guess is something is wrong with one of those switches or possibly the wiring harness that runs along the rocker panel by the door sill panel under the carpeting is giving you issues.

it happens when i touch the door handle to enter or exit............from what i hear its the connection in the door sill i would take it apart but when i get 5 mins someone else wants a million things from me
i'll get to it eventually
thanks for the input
cody

To determine if it is one or the other open the door and push the door jamb switch in with your finger. If it happens then then it is the door jamb switch. The door latch switch will trip even if the door is just unlatched and not wide open.

Now that I have the time, I'm going to check out the wiring along the door sill. Thanx Kevin and cody.:) bbl. c/w findings.

what I found out was I have no brake lights, tail lights as long as I turn my dome light on and door is open, no side marker lights, and still no dash lights unless I turn the dome lights on and open the door, no keypad lights and wont unlock door or trunk, no trunk light and no hood light....all this because I changed a fuse for the dash lights...?????

Last edited:
Car lights up

:) Finally after two days with the entire wiring harness's and switches ripped apart and replaced I discovered that the 50 cent fuse panel that Ford uses on Thunderbirds,-you know the one with 5 million amps passing thru it-:eek: are very tempermental..I finally bent the terminals a bit on the fuse for the brake lights to work and voila.....LIGHTS<BR>Thank you to everyone that helped and a "hats off" to SCBirds4us..someone give that man a toaster! lol

I bet that when they had had a phone system in the car before, the tap that they used for power widened the gap for the fuse. I just wish we could have figured it out sooner with less headaches.

ahhh...never thought of that but yes that makes perfect sense now..however, no dash board lights, trunk or hood lights..dare I go jam a new fuse in the holder? lol..back soon..think I will just do that:D <br>thanks again for walking me thru all the wiring headaches..:)

If the fuse holder is spread out, it will need to be crimped slightly so that the fuse will make good contact.

i had a holder jammed in my fuse block when i got my car which one was it? it was a small copper piece that i thought w t f is this doin in here so i took it out then had no turn signals and things thats weird i also have a tv jack wire thats under my backseat that they tell me it the automatic tranny wire but mine is a 5 speed weird huh?

cody

Back