Does this sound like a clogged converter to you? Or what else could it be?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Ever since my 89 got back on the road my 89 has had this recurring issue. When you first start the car (cold) it starts and idles good, once a minute or two have passed the car starts idling rough and some times it dies. IT sounds and feels as tho the car has a vacuum leak. Sometimes the idle will be rough, but enough to keep the car running. Now, the problem goes away once the car is fully warmed up. Once in operating range the car hauls as it should...a bit smokey, but thats besides the point since it has had a rich condition since I finished the rebuild. Once warmed up, the idle returns to normal and its a pleasure to drive. Now, if I turn the car off and re-start a few minutes later the it would do what i've mentioned for a bit, but then go back to normal.

If for example I turn the car on for the first time in the day and not let it warm up, and i start driving...the car would start idling rough after a bit, loose power and to keep it from stalling I have to rev it up either by putting it on neutral or by just stomping on the gas. When I do hit the gas, it takes a sec or two to 'catch wind' and go. I do get a CHECK ENGINE light, and the codes point to a rich condition in both banks.

I just thought it was perhaps a huge vac leak or something which I planned to check, but what has switched my suspicions towards the passingers side cat is the fact that its now making noise. Any thoughts? Does it sounds like something that a clogged catalytic converter would cause?

maybe

i have a similar situation
car runs so cool, and i have 050 gaps on my 1 heat range colder plugs, that i always thought it was just that. the cold condition and plugs.

now i hear a clicking from my driver cats, and it idles a little rough, not so rough i cant stand it, but enough to make me wonder if it needs looking at.

i guess ill see when i remove my cats.
hope you find your problem

I dont know alot about cold starting issues but it sounds like there is a problem with air/fuel ratios when the engine is cold...I had a clogged cat problem and the car ran like crap warm...it was very sluggish like it had a bad slip in the clutch or something and it felt way under power. have you checked timing on it yet? I'm sorry I cant be any more help but I can tell you my problem went away with a new exhuast set minus the cats and a new tune with a new BHJ HB MAF and TB...
My .02 (for what its worth):eek:
Rick

See, timing could also be an issue. My tach acts up from time to time, so that tells me to change DIS/Cam sensor...wich I had planed to do in the upcoming days. But, would that cause the noise from the cat? Perhaps its a joint problem?

In terms of the spark plugs, at the beginning I had used the same plugs that were in the engine before i blew the hg's...which was a set of autolites, but a range colder...and the car ran like crap...barely idled. when I changed the plugs to the standard recomended motorcrafts it went much better.

Oh yeah...and to top it off, my car didnt pass emissions.....yay! I have until december to get it fixed tho, so i think i can find the problem by then..i. hope!

CaifanSC said:
See, timing could also be an issue. My tach acts up from time to time, so that tells me to change DIS/Cam sensor...wich I had planed to do in the upcoming days. But, would that cause the noise from the cat? Perhaps its a joint problem?

In terms of the spark plugs, at the beginning I had used the same plugs that were in the engine before i blew the hg's...which was a set of autolites, but a range colder...and the car ran like crap...barely idled. when I changed the plugs to the standard recomended motorcrafts it went much better.

Oh yeah...and to top it off, my car didnt pass emissions.....yay! I have until december to get it fixed tho, so i think i can find the problem by then..i. hope!
This sounds like a problem with a tempature sensor making the car run to rich.

Back