MAF problems?

SK_BlownThunder

Yeah, its been a while since I posted. Just thought I'd get this in here to see some feedback. My car is running fairly well ever since I started doing exhaust mods to it. EGR is giving a little trouble lately (I think) especially in hot weather. Car wants to try and stall out from idle just after startin it from shuttin it off after its been running a while. Usually just does it in hot weather and only started after I took out the cats and replaced resonator. Backpressure to EGR?

Other problem lately is punching it in second gear out of first. Sometimes it will want to bog right down if I punch it shifting into second gear from first, like it's just nothin there for power. Car sometimes starts buckin real bad and even starts to die out if I let it go for too long. I let off the throttle, then go again and its all good. Car seems like it lags under acceleration a lot too. Solid 10 psi at 1893 ft above sea level with stock pullies. Seem right?

Still haven't got to the bottom of the ignition problem yet though. Just a phenomenon that no one can fix, not even the old man, which is not good. No codes showing up, or dignostic indicators with the Rotunda, wierd.

When the car bucks under acceleration, the boost hits 10 psi instantly then drops down again to where it was (like 7 or 8 psi or wherever my rpms are at when I am speeding up).

I'm runnin my first quarter mile this weekend, we'll see how my drivin is compared to my buddy who is more experienced, then we'll compare numbers. Right now though I think his SC is runnin lots better than mine. Gave him a new ICM so now he's got six cylinders again. Cars are both the exact same, no mods except for some exhaust, and he is whoopin me like a rented mule.

Lastly, do the 1990 5-speed SCs have a known issue with leaking front and rear main seals. Did my motor head to toe 40 000 kms ago, both seals are leaking pretty good already. We put a new rear seal in when tranny was out 1500 kms ago, and now the front one is getting bad too.

Anyone with some two cents on these issues would be GREATLY appreciated,

Brett

Did you use a factory/motorcraft PCV valve? Wonder if too much pressure in crankcase is pushing the oil out.

birds4us said:
Did you use a factory/motorcraft PCV valve? Wonder if too much pressure in crankcase is pushing the oil out.

The PCV always pushes oil out.

Problems running hot... do a search for the voltage range on the ACT sensor. Most likely it's got oil on it and is sending the PCM a faulty reading. Mine gave a constant 250*F air charge temp. That's 5 degrees below throwing a trouble code. Replaced it and the car ran like butter.

Make sure your O2s are plugged in and working properly. A faulty O2 could cause all sorts of erratic behavior.

Last edited:
Yes I did use a factory valve. It almost looks that could be the problem. I'll look in to it. It must still have something to do with the HB, being that is what I replaced once the ignition and acceleration problems started happening. Also, if the fuel pump is making a low grumbly sound when first turning the key on, does that mean I should be looking for another one? Should I go with 255 lph right away, I only plan to stick to mild mods, until I buy a new car somewhere down the line, such as when I am done college. I'll have money then, maybe.

Back