T-5?

89SC/94V8

is a T-5 a swap that can be done to a 1989 SC? i know the M5R2 isnt a very good transmission from what i read, i have heard that it shifts like a 1957 F-100. some information would be appreciated.

ford didint put a t-5 in the t-bird cause it couldint handle the torque. A m5r2 in the right condition with the right syncros, fluid and shifter will do just as good.

T-5 is possible, it would require a custom shifter relocation bracket. I believe that it all that is necessary. But don't quote me, because I'm not sure of any differences with the driveshaft. MN-12 performance used to make them.

they're correct, according to internet data, the stock t-5 trannie is not rated to handle the torque outputs of this motor, however there are several companies that make aftermarket trannies capable of higher outputs, I got mine from www.gforcetransmissions.com . Also, in stock from the shifter would come up through the radio console. MN12 performance did make the shifter extensions, but the one I recieved was engineered incorrectly and wouldn't work under any currently understood mechanical principles. A modifictation to the shifter extension, and the including housing cleared that right up for me though. Also some stuff for the hydrolic clutch mechanism needs to be bought or fabbed.

Although a buncha diagrams and claims on the internet indicate that the M5R2 and T5 overall length are the same, a quick inspection with a measuring tape showed that from the front of the bell housing to the end of the output shaft was about a 4 inch difference.

Progress and funds are slow and my car is not done yet. I'll be sure to let everyone know how this swap turned out when it's all finished (ETA 1 year)

now how difficult would the AOD to M5R2 swap be? money wise what would i be looking at for the parts? i can handle the installation myself.

Very easy, I did it along with others. If you have money to throw around I dont see why a t-5 would be a bad idea. I personally dont feel like taking out and rebuilding the tranmisson every season.

Back