Oil Pressure question

IkeyM

SCCoA Member
Hey guys i have a 1993 SC that i just bought and is suppose to have a fresh motor 10k ago.The oil psi dropped on it so i hooked up a mechanical gauge and it has 52psi when running it hard.But it only has 15psi when idiling(the electric gauge was falling to 0).Is this too low?If so what is the possible cause.Oil psi was fine until i changed oil.I used Mobil1 extended life synthetic,Fram filter and Lucas oil Stablizer.Any help would be appreciated.

IkeyM said:
Hey guys i have a 1993 SC that i just bought and is suppose to have a fresh motor 10k ago.The oil psi dropped on it so i hooked up a mechanical gauge and it has 52psi when running it hard.But it only has 15psi when idiling(the electric gauge was falling to 0).Is this too low?If so what is the possible cause.Oil psi was fine until i changed oil.I used Mobil1 extended life synthetic,Fram filter and Lucas oil Stablizer.Any help would be appreciated.

That pressure is not ok and there's no reason to use Lucas in the motor. What weight is the oil you used? You should see 35psi at idle and 65psi above 2500 rpm.

Oil psi

XR7 Dave said:
That pressure is not ok and there's no reason to use Lucas in the motor. What weight is the oil you used? You should see 35psi at idle and 65psi above 2500 rpm.

I used 10/w30 oil.

i use 15w50 MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC EXTENDED LIFE and a mobil 1 extended life filter and i see also 60 psi at cold and when warmed up i see 24psi on my electric oil pressure gauge... when it gets really hot beyond 190 it drops to maybe 20psi... i am thinking of switching over to VALVOLINE VR-1 RACING OIL 50W might give that a try to stop the oil from dropping that low, or go with 20w50 from VALVOLINE SYNTHETIC SYNPOWER...

hey dave, you know anything about the VALVOLINE VR-1 RACING OIL?

It may be the fram filter, I have seen brand new ones that were junk.
I wiped the crank bearings out of my original engine when running VALVOLINE VR-1 RACING 50W OIL and a fram filter :mad: . After that the only filter I will use is the motorcraft.

ive always used motorcraft filters since ive owned the SC, or BOSCH ones, but lately ive been running mobil 1 extended performance, the black ones, i want to try that valvoline VR1 50w racing oil... :D see if that helps

Back