anyone mess with an x-pipe setup?

stang-sc

i am starting to try to plan the overhaul on the 88 lx stang i picked up with a 90 sc swap. the prev. owner had a h pipe setup made for the car but he said he thinks there was some scavaging issues and he didnt like the setup. i am gonna be pulling it all apart and going over the car and setup and was considering having an x pipe made and was curious about sound and results if anyone has tried it. i am new to the sc world so forgive me if this is a known thing and i havent found it. thanks.

In general, scavenging isn't as much of an issue on the SC as a Naturally Aspirated car.

with that said, if you go true duals, an x-pipe can work. The real issue with the Sc exhaust note is that it's a V6 with an firing order that doesn't make the nice sweet pulse of a big v-8. The exhaust tends to get buzzy with anything but a nice long muffler. 18-19" long for the rear mufflers cleans it up pretty well. True duals aren't really necessary for performance so you can do just fine going 2 into 1 into 2.

i was kinda trying to avoid that with goin the x pipe route, thanks for the muffler suggestion though, i will keep that in mind.

stang-sc said:
i am starting to try to plan the overhaul on the 88 lx stang i picked up with a 90 sc swap. the prev. owner had a h pipe setup made for the car but he said he thinks there was some scavaging issues and he didnt like the setup. i am gonna be pulling it all apart and going over the car and setup and was considering having an x pipe made and was curious about sound and results if anyone has tried it. i am new to the sc world so forgive me if this is a known thing and i havent found it. thanks.

Take the cats off and install a large exhaust. You can't go too big with a supercharged car

With all said, I would not recommend installing x pipe - dron will kill you. I drove my car for a season and installed a 14" resonator after all. I am running dual 2.5", still have cats, and two 40 series Magnaflows at the back - like the sound. ;)

I have the magnaflow Xpipe with dynomax mufflers and everybody compliments how good it sounds... drone is kinda annoying until u get into higher rpms tho

Miller has dynomax bullet race mufflers..If he had non race inspired mufflers drown would be minimal...Isnt really that bad though as it sits

Miller has dynomax bullet race mufflers..If he had non race inspired mufflers drone would be minimal...Isnt really that bad though as it sits

Last edited:
holy quadruple post batman!

i have gutted cats and no resonator just a custom y-pipe- stock mufflers. it sounds good, especially at idle and low rpms.

Exhaust is handled by 2" downpipes that dump into 2.5" Magnaflow (Carsound) Catalytic Converters. From there it's 2.5" pipe into a DIDO Magnaflow True-X Resonator, Dual 2.5" mid pipes ending at dual Magnaflow Offset/Offset.

Sounds mean as ~~~~, WOT. I don't really notice it drone, guess I'm just used to it. ^_^

True dual 2.5" with an X running back to 18" Borlas. I recollect larger mufflers needing to be 45'd to clear all the pipes and bumper cover.

It has an area in which it gets a little loud, but nothing to be too picky over, and I am picky. Contrary to the masses, I have had to much of a beef with it, and it sounds good without the massive ear chatering drone everyone hates.

Good luck.

Actually, you might have a whole new set of issues. 18 mufflers on the MN12 chassis have to be angled, so that the inlet is more towards the center of the trunk and the outlets are then in the corner. You won't be able to get a decent turn into the inlets otherwise.

Seems to me the stang trunk behind the rear axle is even shorter.

Back