boost vs exhaust

442guy

I damaged my dual in out tru X resonator by hitting a board on the higway. sooo I had a magnaflow dual 2.5 into one re/ mufffler put on and a 3 inch pipe all teh way back exiting the left side no secondary mufflers, My boost has now dropped to 8lbs where i was getting 12 at wot with the dual 2.25 set up back into 2.25 with small turbo muffles.

Th 2 into one Magnaflow res/muffler with the 3 inch run out really freed up the system, I'm going to try a Monsa style end of pipe reonator with 3 ich inlet and dual 2.25 resonator tips to see if it mellows the little bit of drone out.
I think the single 3 inch pipe really flows well , it looks like a sewer pipe .anyone try teh monsa style resonator to mellow their pipes?
http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/tips.htm

I would hafta say that it was the magnaflow resonator/muffler tat you put in, in place of the "dual in out tru X resonator" that caused the drop in boost pressure. Seems that new resonator/muffler must flow better than what you were running before. If you do the math.... a pair of 2.25 inch pipes will have a cross sectional area of 7.95 square inches whereas a SINGLE 3 in pipe will only have 7.065 square inch cross sectional area. The pair of 2.25 inch pipes WILL flow more than a single 3 inch pipe. The difference must be in the resonator.
....3 inch pipe all teh way back exiting the left side no secondary mufflers....

Did you have "secondary mufflers" in the back on the other setup with the dual 2.25 inch pipes? if so.... that would also make a huge difference.

I had some Long turbo style mufflers and the sound was decent, The magnafow sounds great at idle but has some flat spots where it sounds Nissanlike kinda growls.

Well if you HAD 2 mufflers in the rear and now have NO mufflers back there.... THAT is a HUGE difference. You would actually have been better off with the dual 2.25" pipes and no mufflers than a SINGLE 3" pipe without mufflers. Your biggest loss in exhaust restriction seems to be the loss of the mufflers.... NOT the change from dual 2.25" to single 3" pipe. ;)

so should I split the 3 inch out back or go with a small tip resonator???I just want it a little deeper.

I did that type of setup on 2 of my 3 SCs (2-1 magnaflow into small resonators out back) its got a nice sound, still a bit raspy but toned down to a moderate level.
On the first car I did the 2-1 mag into straight out pipes & it was a bit too much noise at WOT, after installing the small straight thru resonators out back it really made it nice.
Split the 3" into 2 2.5" pipes & put 2 mini staight thru resonators on & you'll be happy.
On the 3rd SC ( the CMRE in my sig at bottom) we have the SCP exhaust,
Its has way more drone than the systems on the other 2 cars.

Last edited:
>Its has way more drone than the systems on the other 2 cars.<
I had a SCP system, with awefull drone. I guess it is O.K. if you like to drive by yourself, no radio, etc.
Got rid of the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers,
and replaced them with the Borla's which got rid of the drone.
Hard to believe anyone would sell a system like that, and not caution about the drone. Borla's are expensive but worth it.

Back