PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Oil Leaks on my 90

rickbtbird
08-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Yup I got a couple of small oil leaks. I use about a quart between oil changes and some of it is because the valve covers and intake manifold have small leaks. When I had the tranny rebuilt last month I asked the service advisor if he seen any leaks and he verified that the valve covers were leaking and there was a slight intake manifold oil leak. He said it wasn't that bad right now.

So.... I'm picking up a 95 Super Coupe 5speed a week from Friday and driving it back to home. This one will be my daily driver for the remainder of the summer/fall and the 90 is going to get another good cleaning and then put away for the winter and I was thinking that it might be a good time to address these leaks. I've have the entire blower/intake and fuel rail system off before which wasn't a big deal (just time consuming) and I wanted to hear from anybody that's done the valve covers and intake gaskets. Is it worth the time doing them or will they begin to leak again after replacing them? Is this a waist of time?

T-bird Tim
08-16-2006, 10:07 PM
If you are going to be taking the top of the engine apart anyway; you may as well change the gaskets. I have owned three auto tranny SCs and they always seem to leak at the rear main seal between the engine and tranny. Check there too as I bet it's probably leaking.

rickbtbird
08-16-2006, 10:12 PM
If you are going to be taking the top of the engine apart anyway; you may as well change the gaskets. I have owned three auto tranny SCs and they always seem to leak at the rear main seal between the engine and tranny. Check there too as I bet it's probably leaking.
I had them check that when the tranny was replaced and they said it was fine, car only has 92,500 miles.