for you Turbo Coupe owners???

white90sc

I have a question about your rear end.. WHat gear comes stock with your car...its an 88 T-Coupe rear end. i heard its a 3:73 gear and it will fit in are SC cars...

Would it fit? Is it a 3:73 Gear?

I asked befor but i really didnt get a stright answer..

Thanks,
Jerry

I believe all of the 87 and 88 Turbo Coupes had 8.8s, the 84 - 85 had 7.5, and most of the 86 should have 8.8. The ratio on the 87 and 88 cars were either 3.55 or 3.73 with the 8.8.

cheers
Ed N.

I am an SVO owner, well, one junked 84T/C for parts. Ed's info is bang on, and for your info all the SVOs were 7.5" diffs, no good to you.

Other sources of 8.8"diffs with 3.27, 3.55 or 3.73 gears are from:
Crown Vic Police cars 3.27 92-96?, 3.55 96?-up
F150 pickup trucks, 4x4 tends to have lower gears incl 4.11 (rare)
V8 Mustang 1988? up usually comes with 3.27

The differential from the trucks has a larger axle spline but the R&P gears are interchangable with any of the cars. I have F150 gears in my 92 Crown Vic. The T-Bird diffs have a groove for the axle spring clip whereas the others do not. It MAY be possible to cut a groove in the diff's axle spline with a Dremel grinder cut off wheel in a lathe. They are too hard to bore even with carbide. Most 8.8" diffs I have regeared in the past while have had the same shims under the pinion (0.020" I believe?). If doing this "on the cheap", you may want to install the pinion with the bearing and shims it comes with and just run a pattern. This is a testimony to modern manufacturing machining accuracy. I really recommend a solid shimmed pinion preload spacer instead of the crush one, but at least install a new crush spacer and locknut.

Steve Best

Back