Dyno results

T-bird Tim

Well finally got to get some pulls on the dyno after the new motor install. Unfortunately I couldnt get a good horsepower reading because we couldnt get the tranny to keep from upshifting long enough to get a baseline, however, I was able to get a max torque reading. Better than I expected, 414 lb/ft of torque max. Not too bad for the little v-6. I am running several mods to include: 520 lift cam, ported heads, headers with full exhaust minus cats, stegmeier blower and intake with 10% overdrive, 255 fuel pump, 42lb injectors, SCP 3.5 inch cold air kit, 76mm MAFS, 85mm T-body, underdrive pulleys, custom chip and tuning, stock intercooler w/fan, 3:73 gears, raised s/c top, roller rockers. Future mods I'm looking at are a custom front mount I/C, 50 shot NOS, and get rid of that damn AOD by way of a 5-speed conversion.

nice

you should be in the 12s now Chuck. I'll guess your RWHP to be at 325 conservative.Good job.
Andy

Nice. You have almost exactly the same mods I was planning to add to my car this winter. That gives me an idea of what I'll be getting. Too bad you couldn't get HP numbers.

Yeah, I really wanted to see what kind of power it's putting to the wheels. When I do the 5-speed swap early next year I should be able to get the power numbers. Will be running it in Alabama next month, good altitude. Should be able to get some time slips posted.

Tim,

How high did the HP get before it shifted into OD and at what RPMS did the shift occur ?

David

PS: I would keep the automatic and add a Lentech valve body with electric OD delete. 5 speed cars with that much power usually have a hard time with wheel hop.

It was only shifting at about 3800 and the best hp reading was 262 at the wheels, I know with the torque I'm putting down that the horsepower has to be way more than that. With all the mods I have, it better be more than 300 at the wheels. I actually bouhght a Lentech 2800 stall converter for it two manths ago, it came out of an early model AOD but wouldnt bolt up to my 92 AOD. Worst part is the fact that the torque converter is almost new. I bought it on here from WiscoAndy, it came out of his SC.

Last edited:
262rwhp @ 3800rpm = 362 ftlbs torque at that point. For an SC with head/cam that is usually about the torque peak so based on that it should top out between 300-320rwhp. Numbers look right on target.

BlownV6 said:
Boy is that a lot of torque
It's called converter flash. ;) With a 5spd the car would probably peak out about 380-390rwtq. But ya, these cars make torque. Too bad all that torque couldn't be traded in for some HP. :D

I was told to go with a Lentech valve body and a high stall converter to maximize the torque, Is this worth the money?

T-bird Tim said:
I was told to go with a Lentech valve body and a high stall converter to maximize the torque, Is this worth the money?

Oh, certainly it is to your benefit because the torque peak that you see on the dyno is real, its just that it's not coming from the motor instead it's coming from the converter. :) The converter works like a rubber band storing energy. That's why auto's are so quick at the track.

Your motor actually peaks torque around 3500-3800rpm so the extra that you get below that is like free money.

The only reason I bring this up at all is that some people think that their motor is making gobs of torque. It is making great torque, but maximizing the effects of the converter just make it all the sweeter.

T-bird Tim said:
Yeah, I really wanted to see what kind of power it's putting to the wheels. When I do the 5-speed swap early next year I should be able to get the power numbers. Will be running it in Alabama next month, good altitude. Should be able to get some time slips posted.
Don't do the 5-speed conversion keep your auto trany.You'll be braking parts like crazy with that much TQ in 5-speed sc.I know something about that:D

Burbank95sc said:
Don't do the 5-speed conversion keep your auto trany.You'll be braking parts like crazy with that much TQ in 5-speed sc.I know something about that:D
Only if you are a maniac. :p If he puts a 5spd in it then he will make significantly less torque so it won't an issue. I ran 12.48 @ 110mph (more than once) with my car making 400ftlbs and didn't break anything. ;)

T-bird Tim said:

I was told to get the Lentech valve body for my 93. I can say it is the best mod I have done to the car. If I leave it D and drive normal it shifts real firm up and down the gears but when you shift it manually, first to second it will break the tires loose at even 2500 rpm. Shifts are hard and fast and the car feel like a real sports car where before it shifted like grandma car.

Ken

Back