porting

operation rob

can anyone give me some instructions on how to port my blower and exghaust? also, what are some other things i can port? i have all the tools that are nessasary, but i just dont know how to do it. thanks.

The only porting I did OK was on my Exhaust manifolds.
When the car was on a lift I unbolted the cats and downpipes and used a tapered die grinder Tungsten I believe, it also works on aluminium.
I focused on the ridge on the inside exit of the exhaust and it made a difference in the restriction FOR SURE! Dont go crazy removing the ridge or lip and smothing the inside is all that is needed IMO for most street HP uses

I port my stock exhaust headers on a bridgeport mill ,using a borebar.
This gives the most consintric job, then hand blend sharp edges.

Randy

I heard that if you don't have a bridgeport mill you can improvise with simple hand tools, some fine steel wool, and a electric can opener. I saw it on a late night infomercial. It was awesom! They even used a SC exhaust manifold for the example. It was really late, and I was really really tired so I didn't catch the name of the company. I have been awake now for three months waiting for it to come back on.
Danny:D

I can only tell you that on the exahust manifolds that you have to HOG it out. A simple dremel taint gonna do it. As for the blower, I was going to try it but these cars already cause expenses. I dont need to be boogering up the SC. If you have the tools, do a search. That may take days because no one likes to answer on a question thats been asked more than once. You can do the porting on the SC if you have the mechanical ability and tools. Otherwise, there are a few reputable guys on here that can do it and not break the bank. I have just not had the funds to acquire there expertise because I was dicking around with other things.

Good luck, dont forget to put the info back if you decide to do it yourself. It helps the other guys that want to do it themselves. I will pay someone, I dont think toenail clippers and an exacto will do the job.

Dude if you don't know what your doing leave your blower to someone that does..:eek:....Anyone remember that long popcorn eating saga about that butched up blower that got sent as a ported blower but looked more like a bad abortion ...just curious how that all worked out...my VCR broke...:D ...David?:rolleyes:

Rick

You or others can port your own blowers.But you will still have the
stock blower plenum. A good shaped plenum is as important as the
porting of the blower ,maybe more..

So I would look for and buy a new or used blower and plenum.
like MPII MPIII, because they come with a nice shaped plenum.

Porting the exhaust end of your stock exhaust headers. I use a
peice of scrap channel iron 6'' or wider around 2' long. Cut a hole
in end of channel so the diameter of header flange fits flat against
channel. Drill two holes in channel for the two header flange bolts.
Clamp on mill table,and then bore with adjustable borehead tool.

The the intake end of the header. you can reshape by hand around
the header head bolts.

Hope this helps ya some.Randy

Back