in theory, how much power can a SC 3.8 handle?

sc_steve

I'm still looking for a decent project SC and figured I'd look for one with either a blown motor or atleast one with headgasket failure.

with a decent engine buildup, how much, in theory, can it hold before it wants to self destruct (with a safe tune) or the headgaskets want to blow? I guess the reason I ask is that, with the supercharger, you are kind of limited on how much you can do with it (with the exception of the MP blowers) where as with a tubro charged setup, the sky is the limit for the most part and can be done cheeper (I already have quite a bit of stuff I need, not to mention I can fab up most anything else that I don't have).

with a decent tune, build and all else being good (heads/cam/trans/ect), do you think it could handle upwards of 24psi? I'm looking to build it to around the 500whp range

I've been out of the SC scene for a while so I appreciate any feedback. I remember the headgaskets were a big problem on these cars, but if memory serves me it was more from the restrictive heads/manifolds/exhaust... or was it from a defective gasket/head design?

thanks

If you would use FELPRO Permatorque MLS gaskets.
These would be a huge help when running 24lbs of boost..
People have been running 20+lbs of boost around here.

1998 Stang part#9262pt and 9263pt

Randy

thanks for the info :) much appreciated.

has anyone really hit the 3.8's limit yet? For instance, 500whp seems to be the power level to where a 302 tends to want to split in half... figured I'd ask these kinds of questions before hand :D

cheers
-steve

No one has spoken up if they have found a limit I believe V6power.net may have some guys that have taken the basic block well over 500rhp with their Vortech type blowers and nitros.

The biggest limit on our SC blocks has been the M90, and it's only been a couple years that folks have have been seriously playing with twin screws or the MPIII. Haven't seen a turboed SC block yet. The twin screw boys have been learning the limits of their twin screws, and their fuel systems.

Head gasket issues are simply due to not enough bolts to hold the head down combined with gaskets not designed to deal with the fact that the head lifts under boost. The MLS gaskets go a long way to giving the gasket a chance of surviving the head lifting.

Would it be safe to say that our s/c'd 3.8 engines can take 700hp at the back wheels safely as a daily driver?

I highly doubt that, can someone chime in?

I dont think anyone has legitimately tested the SC block and crank to its limitations with all the goodies.

There are several 400rwhp plus SC engine with good rod and pistons running around..

Add a main girdle and perhaps a valley girdle (not created yet) and it will hold that much more..How much I dont know...Swap out the SC for a turbo and the same combo wil most likely hold up to even more power.

700 at the wheels seems like a bit much but I really dont know. A good tune does wonders as well

Haven't seen a turboed SC block yet. The twin screw boys have been learning the limits of their twin screws, and their fuel systems.

Depending on how long until my MPX decides to show up, you might see one by summer's end.

Matt over at V6P is making something insane, 6 or 700 on his TT 95 3.8. I think his best run so far in the 1/4 is high 9's. I like telling that to my buddy running a T-Type with a gazillion dollar motor in it.

As far as max power, we could always try a filled block, Clevite V bearings, decked and blueprinted block, etc. Hmm....

Something unrelated but interesting I learned the other day... our cranks weigh a solid 35-35 lbs more than a small block crank. Can't remember if that was forged or cast, though. I'll have to check.

Why dont you try it, and let us know when it splits open. Then forever we can say, yea that dude steve made _ befor it cracked. u can be famous.

Something unrelated but interesting I learned the other day... our cranks weigh a solid 35-35 lbs more than a small block crank. Can't remember if that was forged or cast, though. I'll have to check.
That would be negative. Our cranks weigh about 42lbs.

matt neuharth is making around 600 ponies on his 4.3l stoker in his 95 stang.. that thing is ungodly fast.. its a SINGLE turbo, and it puts down mid to high nines if i recall correctly. :)

Umm guys, this thread is from '06. There are at least a couple turbocharged SC's now, and even more people running a turbo on a SC block (i.e. in Mustangs).

Umm guys, this thread is from '06. There are at least a couple turbocharged SC's now, and even more people running a turbo on a SC block (i.e. in Mustangs).

Woah. didn't see that. Any, the 42lb crank makes more sense. the shipping label for mine said 80-something and I didn't think about. Don't worry, I didn't pay the shipping.

Back