Multi-function switch question

Pablo94SC

I got a 93 MFS and put it in my 89 Cougar with the auto-dim feature. Now I have high beams all the time unless I turn on the auto-dim. Then they switch normally (go figure). If I just turn on the headlights, high beams. If I switch the high beams on, both high and low beams come on.

So I know that this switch isn't the right one. I don't mind having to use the auto-dimmer feature to run low beam only, and I like the fact that when I switch to high-beams all 4 come on, but I'd like to know if I can rewire the harness to make this work properly.

Paul

Last edited:
The switches are different from regular headlights and auto dimming.

I think for the lights to function properly, you'll need a switch specifically for auto dimming.

There are three different switches depending on the options the SC has on it....

You probably need the CAD switch to operate the headlights properly....

multifunction switch question

If you are converting over to auto dim headlites you will also need the headlite switch and the sensor and wiring harness from it to the headlite switch.I just sold those to Cobra85 off a parts car I have he could probably give you specifics on this swap.Hope this helps.:)

My Cougar has auto-dim headlights, but the MFS I got was from a 93 without auo-dim.

I've found a work around for it. I turn auto-dim on, my headlights are normal. Turn auto-dim off, highbeams. Anytime I flip the highbeams on from the MFS, all four lights turn on. I actually like that.

Anyway, the rest of the work around involves buying aftermarket 9005/9006 harnesses that plug into the factory harness for power. I'll then flip the 9005 with the 9006 harness. Simple fix and I should have full functionality of my auto-dim again.

Paul

Still though, does anyone know how the multi-function switches are wired differently? It may be a simple thing to rewire them for whatever headlight set up you have.

Paul

That's actually not bad, if it doesn't overheat an wiring or relays. Kind of like having the competion light set up. Maybe I'll try that. I've got an extra switch that I had gotten for the 91 with non auto dim lights.

RadiumSC said:
That's actually not bad, if it doesn't overheat an wiring or relays. Kind of like having the competion light set up. Maybe I'll try that. I've got an extra switch that I had gotten for the 91 with non auto dim lights.

I'm still a little concerned about the MFS over heating, but we'll soon see. At least for < $30 I can get the aftermarket wiring harnesses to do the cross-over.

Remember... this worked on my 89 with auto-dim (on the dash, not the rearview mirror), so it might not work for everyone. Also, if you have factory fog lights (Cougars don't), you'll definitely want to do the relay mod for those.

Back