eec learning

spetz01

I'm testing this out...Learning the EEC by starting the car, letting it run, killing it and then disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes and then repeating. I read an old forum and I guess this is how you do it.

I've noticed it runs a bit smoother and is runs less rich each time..at least there's WAT less smokey gas fumes in the garage.

Just wondering, is this in my head? If not, how long do I let it run and how many times.

Oh by the way...When I started it the first couple times and turned on the code reader..it would flutter a little then run like a top..then start back firing on the 1-2-3 side.

Sounds like something else is going on there. You have the procedure right, but you should only need to do it once. When battery power is removed, the ecu "forgets" what it has learned (long term fuel trim, codes etc). When power is reapplied and the car is started, the EEC starts the relearn procedure from scratch. Since the EEC forgets everything when the battery is disconnected, it doesn't really make sense that it would act differently or better the more times the procedure is repeated; it starts from scratch each time.

What kind of code reader are you using? I have an Auto X Ray and and I've noticed on all the Ford cars I've used it on, the engine almost stalls when the test is finished. Usually it catches itself before it actually dies. I've always attributed this to the EEC going back to "normal" mode after being in "debug".

If I'm off the deep end, then someone please correct me :)

Vince

Back