QUESTION: AOD Tranny from a 1989 Mustang

jsue1961

Will a 1989 AOD tranny operate properly in my 1993 SC? I have a stock 1993 SC and was wondering if it will bolt right in. I found one for $400.00 with 40k miles on it.

John

jsue1961 said:
Will a 1989 AOD tranny operate properly in my 1993 SC? I have a stock 1993 SC and was wondering if it will bolt right in. I found one for $400.00 with 40k miles on it.

John
Thats alot of money for a stock AOD. Out here i got mine rebuilt/installed with 1year warrenty for $600. And im still running that tranny today

yes its a perfect swap just use your sc shifter assembly and kickdown cable. I wouldn't pay that much for a stock AOD they really are not worth that much anymore

OD will fail quickly. The OD servo in even a 5.0 mustangs AOD is not strong enough to last long with the torque an SC motor puts out in OD. It may last a week, maybe a month or 2 but it WILL fail. Try www.phoenixhardparts.com .Thats where I got my remaned from and its awesome $780 shipped to me, come with t/c and all. You'll need to transfer your shift linkage from the old tranny and the extension housing from the old one. But mine is awesome. Shifts smooooooth:D

trife86 said:
Thats alot of money for a stock AOD. Out here i got mine rebuilt/installed with 1year warrenty for $600. And im still running that tranny today

That's astounding. I've used 2 different places here in Philadelphia, and removal and installation alone cost about $500 at each place.

The rebuild alone cost about $1100.

By the way, I am currently using an AOD from a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis. It worked fine, with the exception that the shop had to replace the shift arm with one from a Thunderbird trans. Crown Vic / Marquis transmissions will work, except for the ones from police Crown Vics, which had a longer tailshaft.

Hopefully, it will hold together (Buxbaum's trying to jinx me). :)

Last edited:
S_Mazza said:
That's astounding. I've used 2 different places here in Philadelphia, and removal and installation alone cost about $500 at each place.

The rebuild alone cost about $1100.

By the way, I am currently using an AOD from a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis. It worked fine, with the exception that the shop had to replace the shift arm with one from a Thunderbird trans. Crown Vic / Marquis transmissions will work, except for the ones from police Crown Vics, which had a longer tailshaft.

Hopefully, it will hold together (Buxbaum's trying to jinx me). :)
Not trying to jinx you, just forewarn you. I'm telling you phoenixhardparts.com.......for $780 shipped to you, you cannot beat that deal. It is completly remaned and nice. Pay me enough and I'll come and put it in for you.;) It isn't hard to do at all. I did mine on a set of ramps and jack stands.

mlbuxbaum said:
Not trying to jinx you, just forewarn you. I'm telling you phoenixhardparts.com.......for $780 shipped to you, you cannot beat that deal. It is completly remaned and nice. Pay me enough and I'll come and put it in for you.;) It isn't hard to do at all. I did mine on a set of ramps and jack stands.

I'd trust a used unit more than an off the shelf stock rebuild in a SC. The SC trans is the best aod you can get.
Alan

trans

are you sure that you dont have an AODE they came out in "93" you might want to make sure that you have an AOD and not the AODE. If you have the AODE and change to an AOD your computer might not like that to much, and will definetly throw some codes.

cko1986 said:
are you sure that you dont have an AODE they came out in "93" you might want to make sure that you have an AOD and not the AODE. If you have the AODE and change to an AOD your computer might not like that to much, and will definetly throw some codes.

93's had the AOD just like 89-92

94-95 had the 4R70W.

Back