Crankshaft questions

kenshi

I have a couple of questions about our crankshafts. First, I've read about the duracast crankshafts in the earlier Supercoupes. Some say Ford changed to the forged cranks during the 89 model year, and some say they changed during the 90 model year. I have one of the later 89 models (manufactured in May 1989) and really want to know which I have. I plan on switching if it's a duracast because I'll be doing major mods to the car soon. Can anyone give me a definite answer on this, preferably the month and year they changed?

Secondly, as it says in my sig, my LX has a broken crankshaft. I would like to put a Supercoupe crank in to strengthen the engine a little. I've already got one lined out. The problem is that I heard the main journals on the Supercoupe cranks were slightly smaller so that you couldn't accidentally put a cast crank in an SC block. Is it possible to do the opposite? I'd rather not have to buy a whole SC shortblock when I have a perfectly good NA block. I don't plan on putting heavy mods on the LX anyway, but having sturdier internals would give me more peace of mind.

SC's manufactured after 1/30/89 are supposed to have the forged crank...Mine is also a May 89 model and it is forged

Last edited:
Sure you can ..................
Easy way is to get it turned 10 under with the exception of the REAR Main have that micro polished. Then use a set of 3.8 NA 10 under bearings. Then use the proper dampener and flywheel/flexpalte for a nuetral balanced crank.

Ouch. I forgot about the Supercoupe crank being internally balanced. It might be cheaper to get an aftermarket crank. Thanks for the information.

How'd you get your build dates? My 94 has a sticker under the center console that said Feb 94. I haven't found one in my 89 Cougar yet in the rear fenders (behind the speakers, under the center console, or under the rear seat. Any other places to look?

Back