O2 Sensor

Ira R.

Can I get a quick and dirty explanation of what the O2 sensor in the exhaust does, please?? Anything more then, "it measures the exhaust gases" would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ira

Last edited:
Come on guys, it's not that hard a question is it?? The o2 sensors in the exhaust measure the exhaust gasses. What are they measuring for? What do they do with the results?? What specifically are they looking to control??This isn't a test. I have a reason for asking. :confused:

Ira

irar said:
Come on guys, it's not that hard a question is it?? The o2 sensors in the exhaust measure the exhaust gasses. What are they measuring for? What do they do with the results?? What specifically are they looking to control??This isn't a test. I have a reason for asking. :confused:

Ira

02 - oxygen.

By reading the oxygen content of the exhaust the computer inferes the air fuel ratio. The EEC reads the O2 sensor, compares the AFR to what it commanded, and then makes adjustments to eliminate the difference. This occurs only under part throttle conditions up to about 100-115% load conditions (about 3-4psi boost).

So then it is possible that a bad sensor could cause the engine to start running richer then it should under pretty normal local driving conditions.

That would be good, and I guess I will find out. Starting to see small amounts of exhaust dust on rear bumper cover and had planned on changing the sensors today anyway. They were old and were scheduled to go anyway, I was wondering if it could be the cause of this.

Thanks Dave.

Ira

yep O2 sensors will make your car run like crap! how old are they? are they still stock? try pulling some codes, run the KOER test with a scanner and see if it gives u a o2 sensor code... lates.

Codes are unchanged, just my usual EGR delete codes. Just soot on rear bumper cover. I decided to change the sensors because I couldn't verify age or condition, although when they came out the looked pretty clean (I think).

Ira

irar said:
Codes are unchanged, just my usual EGR delete codes. Just soot on rear bumper cover. I decided to change the sensors because I couldn't verify age or condition, although when they came out the looked pretty clean (I think).

Ira
My Dodge Dakota ran like crap for the first 10 minutes of driving it every day and I knew it was the O2 Sensor(s). Took it to the dealership and because they couldn't pull a code they refused to do the change under warranty. I told them if it didn't fix the problem I'd pay for them myself. It did and the truck drives fine. Moral of the story here; don’t always trust a machine to do a man's thinking.

Back