Fusible Links beside Solenoid

WeinerK

I was wondering which fusible links power what that are beside the solenoid on the driver's side behind the battery. I know one is used for the cooling fan (mine burnt up after the motor blew), but what do the other two power? Also, what size are they suppose to be? One has been replaced before and I don't trust who has worked on this car previously. I'm looking to replace them with a heavy duty multi fuse holder with and fuses instead.

Thanks,
Wayne

WeinerK said:
I was wondering which fusible links power what that are beside the solenoid on the driver's side behind the battery. I know one is used for the cooling fan (mine burnt up after the motor blew), but what do the other two power? Also, what size are they suppose to be? One has been replaced before and I don't trust who has worked on this car previously. I'm looking to replace them with a heavy duty multi fuse holder with and fuses instead.

Thanks,
Wayne

On my '93, one goes to the fan and the other goes to the alternator (not the wire to the battery from the alterntor, but the other one on top). I only know of these two.

I'm not an expert on electrical but have similiar past experience in my 90. The fusible link that deals with the fan is a black 16 guage that connects to a yellow wire. You say someone you don't trust replaced the link before and it sounds like they used too large of guage. I say that because the correct link should have burned up before all the damage caused to the fan and wiring. It wouldn't be advisable to replace the fusible link with a fuse because of the high startup amperage of the fan. You would have to use a much higher amp fuse to keep it from blowing on startup, then you would be overfused for normal operation and it wouldn't blow when it should causing the same problem you just had. There are "slow blow" fuses that MAY work but not sure about that.
The other two fusible links from the solenoid, one is a 12 guage(gray) and one is a 20 guage(DkBrown) and my EVTM shows them going to alternator/regulator. Hope this helps. John

Back