2002 Ranger problems

Tbirdsc Colonel

I just bought a 2002 ranger 4x4, 4.0, 5spd, fx4. It does have a 3in body lift which will be removed this evening.

My problem is that when you are cruising along and floor it, in any gear, it pushes the car the the right, but the steering wheel does not move at all. Then if you let off of the gas in high rpm it moves the car to the left. The other issue is that when taking a turn or going up the slightest hill in 1st or second. The tires break traction,also even in straight line if you floor it in 3rd it breaks traction which I just dont think is right. I first took as poor quality tires, but I am thinking these two things might be linked. It seems as though when I break traction in third the car doesnt take off like when my tires break traction int 3rd on the SC. The ranger just seems to mildy accelerate but not enough to spin the wheels.

Any Ideas? I am at a lose the only thing i thought about is maybe the shackles where loose and the aolid axle was shifting but all seems to be tight and bolted down. It drives straight down the road, alignment seems to be fine I had a friend follow me last night to see if he saw things shift or if it looked like the car was out of alignment. He said no he head me hit the gas and it just looked like I jerked the wheel right when I hit the gas and jerked left when I let off. I am at a lose right now. I have not been under the car much as I got it yesterday but just trying to solve the problem.

Thank you

I've got 2 ideas, not sure if its either one, but it may be a place to start. If its got some kind of a centrifugal locker in it, if its messed up, it could do the symptoms you describe. My other idea, i really dont think thats is, But it may be stuck in 4X4 and thats whats causing it. I know when i've got my GMC in 4WD, and when i nail it, it pulls to the left really hard......

I've seen several of the rangers and F-250's come in stuck in 4wd also rangers have a rear bearing problem in that they wear excessively...I can't count the number I've seen with bearing savers pounded into the axle...eventually leaking crap all over the rear brakes...:(

Back