Head Gasket question

cap320

Blew a head gasket about a week ago. Car was flatbedded home. Checked oil back then once it was home and thought it looked ok. Started on changing head gasket today ran engine for about 3 min to get in position and on ramp. Checked oil and it is mud:eek: Changed oil and filter ran a little with no coolant, still a little water in oil. Heck I have a taurus 3.8, drove it around with the head gaskets blown and had that job done (by a mechanic) never thought about water in oil .... put another 100k on it Should I continue to do the gaskets? Or did I toast the low end.... Tks

Drain ALL the coolant out. Change the oil and filter, use the cheapest you can find. You'll want to run the motor for a couple of minutes to fully flush the clean oil through the motor. Dump oil & filter & repeat. After that you should have all of the contaminated oil out. Just remember, antifreeze is your bearings worst enemy.
Did this on my car when the gaskets took a dump and have been running great since repairing.
Good luck!

Thanks... have done it twice oil is clear ... one more time tomorrow. Was in a quandary about going through with head gaskets but am feeling better about that now. Start taking her apart tomorrow after one more oil flush ...

Just the regular FelPro ones are good enough. Thats what i used when i rebuilt my motor. and YES! Get the heads decked, that is a must with alluminum heads!!!

Back