PDA

View Full Version : alternator replacement

ChrisPearl95
08-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Is there an easy way to replace alternator without removing supercharger duct? How do we remove the rear bolt at below the alternator?

cap320
08-27-2006, 03:49 PM
The time I did mine, I took the tube off.... Used a big channel lock on it( I know king of rough) Harbor freight had set of spanner wrenches pretty cheap and used those to put it back on with hi-temp(copper) silicone... worked ok.

Still Crusin
08-27-2006, 04:07 PM
You don't have to remove the upper IC tube to remove the alternator.
Loosen tension on main serpentine belt and remove the bolt from the tensioner control arm that is adjacent to the alternator. Once that is out of the way, the alternator can be removed out that way.
Hints: the long bolt that attaches the bottom of the alternator does not have to come out either. Just pull it all the way till it makes contact with the intercooler. There's also another bolt to be removed on back side of the alt. as well. You'll probably need to wiggle the alt. a bit till it comes free. Can be a little tricky, but if I could do it, almost anyone can.
Getting the alt. back in is a little trickier. I made sure the flared sleeve where the bottom long bolt goes through was hammered towards the front of the car as far as it would go and I put some vaseline on the mounting surfaces on the bottom of the alt. cause it's a tight fit.

Good luck with it and you can also do a search on alternator removal to find other posts.

ChrisPearl95
08-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Did you find a way to re-install the rear bolt...or did you not use it? If it is not truly needed, let me know :)

Thanks!

Still Crusin
08-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Yes, I reinstalled all bolts. Not sure if it is absolutely necessary, but I partially stripped the top bolt if my memory serves correctly, so I made sure to use the other bolts. The rear one was kind of a pain too. Part I had most trouble with was getting the alt. to line up right with the bottom bracket mounting holes, had a hard time getting that long bottom bolt in the front to line up with the rear mounting holes.

BTW, that's a splendid SC you have there. Seems the pearl white must've been the most popular color for 95. Did you move to Michigan from Alabama? I was just lookin' at your member page.

Jeremy_K
08-27-2006, 05:56 PM
I replaced my alternator with the same method as above but I got rid of the back bolt. It's been like that a couple years with no problems. Most other vehicles only have 2 mounting points for the alternator. You'd be surprised how many bolts you can get rid of on these cars.:)