AC Compressor Replacement Question

Thomas A

I'm replacing the AC compressor, and I'm not sure it the reman unit I bought is deffective? Per Ford's instructions, I am draining the oil and measuring it, and then will refill it and add oil as needed. The problem is that it says I need to turn the shaft to help get all the oil out. The shaft wont turn at all though. The pulley spins just fine, but the cluth/shaft won't move at all. The compressor isn't on the vehicle at all, just loose. The one that I took off that failed internally, you can spin the shaft just fine and hear things moving inside.

Soo, is it normal to not be able to turn the clutch/shaft on a fresh remain compressor, or did I get sold a junk unit?

Thomas

Thomas,
The shaft should turn with some resistance. I personally don't like reman units. Usually don't get your moneys worth. Are you converting the system to R134? If so, I wouldn't recomend a reman unit. New is the only way to go when converting to 134. I have done this on at least three cars and not had any failures to date. It is a bit more money, but reman units are not really rebuilt to original specifications. I have heard of too many failures.
Good luck.

It's actually on my truck which is already R-134A. I called the parts store and will be exchanging it tommorow morning. Not really a good sign when it's DOA.

Thomas

Thomas A said:
It's actually on my truck which is already R-134A. I called the parts store and will be exchanging it tommorow morning. Not really a good sign when it's DOA.

Thomas

Make sure you pull a vacuum on the system before you recharge it, it serves a couple of purposes, checking for leaks, and getting all the moisture and bad chit outta the system......

to answer your question, you should be able to rotate the compressor with fair effort, quiet & smooth. open the box in the store & confirm this when you exchange.

Back