PDA

View Full Version : AC Compressor Replacement Question

Thomas A
08-27-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm replacing the AC compressor, and I'm not sure it the reman unit I bought is deffective? Per Ford's instructions, I am draining the oil and measuring it, and then will refill it and add oil as needed. The problem is that it says I need to turn the shaft to help get all the oil out. The shaft wont turn at all though. The pulley spins just fine, but the cluth/shaft won't move at all. The compressor isn't on the vehicle at all, just loose. The one that I took off that failed internally, you can spin the shaft just fine and hear things moving inside.

Soo, is it normal to not be able to turn the clutch/shaft on a fresh remain compressor, or did I get sold a junk unit?

Thomas

Cobra85
08-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Thomas,
The shaft should turn with some resistance. I personally don't like reman units. Usually don't get your moneys worth. Are you converting the system to R134? If so, I wouldn't recomend a reman unit. New is the only way to go when converting to 134. I have done this on at least three cars and not had any failures to date. It is a bit more money, but reman units are not really rebuilt to original specifications. I have heard of too many failures.
Good luck.

Thomas A
08-27-2006, 10:05 PM
It's actually on my truck which is already R-134A. I called the parts store and will be exchanging it tommorow morning. Not really a good sign when it's DOA.

Thomas

90XR7Cougar5spd
08-27-2006, 10:48 PM
It's actually on my truck which is already R-134A. I called the parts store and will be exchanging it tommorow morning. Not really a good sign when it's DOA.

Thomas

Make sure you pull a vacuum on the system before you recharge it, it serves a couple of purposes, checking for leaks, and getting all the moisture and bad chit outta the system......

Thomas A
08-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Yup, got a vac pump for it and everything. I'll run it down real good. Thanks.

Thomas

35thauto
08-28-2006, 12:18 AM
to answer your question, you should be able to rotate the compressor with fair effort, quiet & smooth. open the box in the store & confirm this when you exchange.