any side effects from an 89 cam?

19dCavScout

I have heard a lot of talk about how the 89 cam is the best cam out of a stock sc but i was wondering if it has any negative side effects as in mileage or durability compared to the other ones. and such a slight amount wouldnt matter im just trying to decide if looking for an 89 would be worth it becuase of this. thanks

nick

If you've got the engine apart and don't plan on a lot of mods (just a few bolt ons), then the 89 manual cam is a great choice. And since it's only a tad more agressive than your cam, you won't have any problems with the stock tuning, etc. Just install and go.

If you're planning on head work, ported blowers, etc, then I'd suggest getting a cam based on the mods you're going to be running. Remember, you can't just put a cam in a car and call it a day. It's part of a system, and if your mods and tune don't support the cam (and vice-versa), then you're not going to see any benefits. In fact, you may hurt your performance.

yea the cam is a tad bit more aggressive. But is it agressive enough to notice a differance if you say swap out a 95 cam and toss in a 89?

I'd say you'd get a little better performance, but not a whole lot. I think the reason they went with a slightly more aggressive cam is to make up for the lack of torque multiplication in the 5-spd. Without the cam specs in front of me, I have no idea how it'd affect performance overall. Guessing more low end torque and a little better breathing up top.

trife86 said:
yea the cam is a tad bit more aggressive. But is it agressive enough to notice a differance if you say swap out a 95 cam and toss in a 89?

No....

If your going to install a cam, do something that's going to make more power. The idea of installing a used cam isn't something I would be comfortable with either.

David

Back