Anyone ever get metal particles on their tranny plug?

sizemoremk

hey guys, hopefully nothing to worry about, but I pulled the plug to drain the tranny fluid (finally getting around to installing my lentech VB) and I noticed some metal particles on the magnetic plug...

I this normal, or is something tolerencing itself:eek:

It looked bad when I firt took it out, but the fluid was making it look worse... I swished it around in some warn water, and dabbed it ona towel, and the particles are really small, but I can't imagine what they would be???

The clutches aren't harsh enough to sheer any of the steel clutches material is it?

I did break the input shaft, and had a problem with a broken weld in the TC where the inner and outter splines were welded together to eliminate lockup, but I rebuilt the tranny before I put it back in the car....

Perhaps it was stuff left in the lines and cooler???

Just curious if anyone else has found any metal in the pan...

Some contamination is normal it could be from the cooler or just stuff that comes off on break in. If it looks like a furball it's a problem. If it looks like a little slime on the magnet that is no big deal.
Alan

Sup dirty!

Well it was like a furball when the fluid was on it, but after I cleaned it off it was more like minescule chips...

I guess if I break this one I'll admit defeat and buy a lentech, but I've rebuil't a couple, and they've lasted awhile...

Maybe I was getting cocky and screwed up...

Hey, do you think two 19,000 GVW stakced plate style B&M coolers (one with a fan) would be good for my tranny with your non-locking TC?

I figure one with a fan for the traffic, and one left open so that air can move through it freely at speed?

I found a couple of those for $30...

Thats a very similar setup to what I will be using one before the radiator and one after. That should work well for you. If you hadn't flushed the coolers before you changed the transmission and got that stuff I wouldn't worry about it. If you flushed the cooler(s) you may have a problem. Even a brand new transmission is going to put out a slight amount of particles in the first 500 miles. Usually it is the material coming off the clutches when they break in. The black dynax clutches that I prefer over everything put out more material in the first few miles than any others and generally after that they quit.
Alan

Is this dynax the best clutches?

I will prolly need to know in the future, I've got a few AODs left to build down the road...

Unless I can figure out how to adapt one of these huge 5 speed autos in behind some old ford motors:D

Woa there Alan...dont be fillin his head with a bunch of crap. There should NEVER be any particles on the plug at all. It should always be clean and if there is any metal on there you should immediately pull the pan and change your fluid. This will cause all the fluid to push out any extra metal that was in there. The DOG is wrong.

Just kidding. He is telling you the truth. But I bet I got him all riled up now...:D

Chris

I can't remember exactly where, but somewhere in the New Testament it says he who talks smack in a transmission thread must apologize and provide the orignial poster with a twin screw supercharger:D

Hey man I don't make the rules, but you have my address:cool:

sizemoremk said:
I can't remember exactly where, but somewhere in the New Testament it says he who talks smack in a transmission thread must apologize and provide the orignial poster with a twin screw supercharger:D

Hey man I don't make the rules, but you have my address:cool:

I heard that rule too, There ya go Chris Pay the man. :)

The dynax clutches are the latest oem frictions they are the only things I will use for intermediate and direct. I wish they made them for the forward and even reverse. There is a magnet in the pan for a reason.
Alan

You guys rock...I am trying to get some different mounts made for the rear stabalizer. Problem is time. New boy comes out tomorrow so I will lose some more time. Start new job next week. I know, excuses excuses...But I WILL send you something.

Chris

Whats your new job?

I start a new job in two weeks also, my current new job kinda sucked (only been there 6 months), and I lucked into a sweet position:D Kinda hate to jump jobs so quick, but this job fell into my lap...

Congrats on the new kid!!!

Yeah...timing with this was terrible. I asked to have an extension at my old job so I could give four weeks instead of two. That way I could have my sick time I have accreued over five years instead of starting in the hole. Its five thirty here and I have to get the wife on her way. Ill post some pix later....now back to the tranny thread:)

Chris

Back