Power steering line replacements...

mn12sc35th

I've got a leak in my power steering line and I'm trying to decide how I want to replace it. Is there really any point to the stock line running across the crossmember like it does? I'm wondering if I can just go braided steel and run it right down from the pump to the rack. This is on my base bird, so no oil cooler or anything on the line.... Is there any reason I couldn't?

I guess I don't really want to have another stock line, as the way it sets makes me nervous. I drive 60+ miles a night on backroads, and it looks like something hit the line (the metal U where it comes back to the other side is bent up pretty good and thats where my leak is).

Anyone tried this on their SC? I was under the car yesterday and couldn't see a way to get at the leak except from the top. Racecougars solution looks good though. Not sure if that is my only leak. I finally found it yesterday by shining a flashlight through a 1 1/2" hole in the rear of the crossmember and see fluid escaping from the top of the rack. Not sure if it is a hose or the seal or both.

I checked with my supplier here and he cannot locate a 60 deg fitting in the Russell catalogue, just 45, 90, and 120. Part numbers anyone?

Edit: No worries. Input received from Tinknocker_105 and racecougar and good to go.

Last edited:
Back