PDA

View Full Version : clutch push rod not attaching

Dameon03
08-28-2006, 09:12 PM
I have a 1990 SC 5-speed, the problem started on friday, when the clutch peddle went to the floor with no resistance and just bounced.

I checked it and noticed that the push rod from the master cylinder wasn't connected to the clutch peddle, so i took a closer look and saw that the plastic bearing was broken, so I went and got a new one however it only held for a while i looked and it has worked it's way loose, so replacing it I worked the peddle and noticed it is simply working it's way off, I wanted to check to see if it is just the bearing, so I got another new one and well same problem, I was wondering if anyone has had this problem, if so or if not what it could be? I'm thinking it might just be that the little rod it slips over on the peddle might be worn or something but I can't be without a car and I've been forced to be for some time now so any ideas are appreciated.

Mike Puckett
08-28-2006, 10:34 PM
There is a clip that has eyelets for the crooked part of the pushrod where it fits thru the pedal arm and a u-shaped clip to snap onto the pushrod to hold it in place. It tends to fall off when you disconnect it and land on the floor. It's black and is hard to find. I used some plastic zip ties to help hold mine in place.

MartianBob
08-29-2006, 06:34 PM
I fought that battle this weekend too. Now I have a new bushing (my second) and I'm using a hose clamp around the pedal arm and the push rod arm to keep it from sliding off.
The rod coming off the clutch pedal was a little worn (just barely worn), but I still had problems with the push rod sliding off it.

So far so good, I got three days on it and I check it every night after work. And of course I keep an extra bushing and hose clamp in the trunk now too with my full set of tools and variety of other spare parts.

You know you should push the bushing into the push rod the press the push rod onto the clutch pedal.

Good luck
B

Dameon03
09-01-2006, 12:28 AM
thanks for the replys guys. seems I ended up doing about the same thing I got it on and then used saftey wire to secure it. so far so good