Anyone currently have or ever had a '96-'99 SHO?

quick35th

I am debating about looking into possibly trading in my Expedition in on one to save on gas, cheaper car payment, and cheaper insurance. Basically I am trying to find ways to save money every month and still have a decent set of wheels to drive around every day. Now I have already be enlightened about the V8 SHO's cam issues which dont really scare me so long as the issue is attended to asap after purchase. I just want oppinions on the car and what you guys think about the whole idea of trading for one.

Shane

Shane,

I had a 97 SHO, bought it with 55,000 and sold it with 154,000 (mostly highway) it was a very reliable car however there are some things you should watch out for and be aware of.

1. The exhaust cams (as you mentioned)
2. The transmission is not the most reliable and with the power the engine makes even less reliable.
3. Front wheel bearings will go if they haven't already.
4. Front sway bar endlinks wear out quickly ( I think I went thru 3 pairs in 100,000 miles).

I would suggest against beating it as it probably will not hold up, it does have a nice ride, is quiet on the highway and gets decent gas mileage.

Thanks guys for the comments. Anyone else have anything else they wish to share? There is one other car I am keeping my eyes open for which is the 02/03 Nissan Maxima with the 255HP 3.5L V6 and 6spd manual transmission. This is a good example of one in my price range: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j..._style=SEDAN&doors=&fuel=&lang=en&cardist=447
848889831.206486179.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Shane

David,

I actually thought about a SVT Contour but then I remembered that they have weak transmission forks which seem to break even under the nicest of drivers. That yellow one would be a blast though but I can see it getting me more into trouble with johnny law and hitting the gas pumps more then I want to. Staying away from the gas station is something I am trying to accomplesh here and finding a ride I can cruise on long trips in style is some I must have. Which is why I like that body style Maxima so much cause its just so sleek and mean looking at the same time.

Shane

I have a '99 SHO with 26,xxx miles on it. Personally, I wouldn't use it as a daily driver because it takes premium fuel and gets ok gas mileage in the city. It gets much better gas mileage on the highway but you would expect that. I would find a different car if you are looking to save money on gas.

Well at this point I cant really go wrong with finding something that gets gas milage as I am coming off of my Expedition that averages 13.8mpg city/highway. That is unless of course I find my way into an F350 or Hummer H2 :eek: which I wont be doing anytime soon.

Shane

Just remember, the SHO might get 15 city but you are also filling up with premium versus getting 13.8 city and using regular like you are. That's the point I'm trying to make. You might actually lose money if you find a car that uses premium and barely gets better gas mileage than what you already have. Just keep that in mind when looking at cars.

True. I knew the SHO took premium but I did not know what the numbers where on it city/highway as far as mpg go. Yeah I want to stay away from cars that get anywhere less then 20mpg city. I need to find the numbers for that Maxima still.

Shane

What about a turbo 1st GEN SHO? I like 91's the best of all SHO's. I was looking on autotrader at some the other night along with Turbo Coupe's and Grand Nationals (DROOL).

Scott Long said:
What about a turbo 1st GEN SHO? I like 91's the best of all SHO's. I was looking on autotrader at some the other night along with Turbo Coupe's and Grand Nationals (DROOL).

1st GEN SHO's were not factory turbo'ed. So in that case of a turbo SHO I am sure its been beaten on pretty heavily and wont be a good daily driver or gas saver. Thats not to say it wouldn't be a fun car to drive though.

Shane

I didn't mean to imply all 1st gen's were turbo'd. But I saw one online somewhere and it was supposedly 340 whp which would be fun. It had a torsen lsd up front and I bet it would haul some serious you know what.

I like the 1st Gen SHO's w/ the slicer wheels or aftermarket wheels. Those are the fastest and lightest of all the SHO's.

my input

Ok, I'll put in my 2 cents on cars. My daily driver is a 96 buick park avenue. It gets between 21-24 in the city and just over 29mpg on the last trip I took. A lot of miles on it, comfortable ride, luxurious, and big. Oh and I almost forgot, it's really sporty too:D Got my ace kicked one time by one of those V-8 sho's though, but my buicks not the supercharged one, so thats acceptable!:D Does great in the snow

i would get either the maxima or a 02-03 altima. youre much better of with a newer/more reliable car , the 99 SHO's are sexy but i wouldnt trust much in one.

Why not trade it on a late 90's f150 with a 4.6.... Dad has one its a 4x4 gets 21mpg and you can still tow & haul stuff.. also get around in the snow... Only gave $3900 for his because it had some minor deer dammage (windshield cracked, fender dented)

Well my plan is to get another truck in about 2-3 years or sooner it just depends on when I get my race car finished. Right now since its not finished and no where near running yet I dont need a truck around to burn up my pocket in gas costs. So by my getting a car now I can use the money saved in gas costs to put towards more important things. When I do get another truck it'll be a F-350 Super Duty with a deisel under the hood.

Shane

Guys I was searching around the net today for information on the '02 Maxima SE and its actually quite an amazing car from what I have read. 0-60 in 6.3 seconds was pretty nice to see. 21mpg city and 28mpg highway which I would be more then happy with. From what I understand from reading about the car that Nissan put a very capable suspenssion under the car which I would be very tempted to autocross it and see just how good the car really is. The more I read about this car the more I want to get one :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Shane

Back