Code 628 ????

tbirdsc357

I scanned for codes today and the only one that showed up was "628". I think this is listed as "Excessive converter clutch slippage" What the hell is that? More important..how much is that going to cost me?

However the guy at the shop said that it seems to be mainly electrical??? He reset the computer and the flashing light went of and I have the use of OD again. What do you guys think. Will I need a new converter soon? Is there something else wrong that I am not seeing.

Steve, the tech. tells me that your either into a torque converter replacement, or you can try doing a complete flush and refill of the fluid if it hasn't been done recently. The 4R70W trannys are bad for contaminating the fluid and getting a torque converter shudder happening as the trans. shifts into in OD. So if you haven't had a fluid change done recently, get that done, including draining the converter, and refillng with good quality fluid. Have a look at TCCoA for articles on this, there are a few low dollar upgrades shown there as well. Ford had a service bulletin out a few years ago for passenger cars with 4R70W, they suggested adding an external cooler if not already equipped, and using the newer generation Mercon V fluid that Ford started with in 1998.

Please give me a call if you need any more details or clarification on this.

thx
Ed N.

Ed thanks for looking into this for me. I believe that the tranny fluid is fine. I recently had the shift kit installed and so new fluid was put in. I don't know if this means that the converter was also drained??

Just in case can you get a price on a new converter for me just so that I know what I might have to face later on, and how much to have it installed. Thanks again.

Email me at work if you like. I'm there till 10pm.

Last edited:
Back