No low pressure A/C access fitting (to allow charging) on 92 SC

vettewars

Have a 92 SC....where near the back on the driver's side (which is on my 89 and 91) I see the low pressure side of the A/C where I've installed the walmart fitting to charge 134......I can't find an access point.....all there is is straight pipe. I've searched everywhere for a fitting on the low pressure side.

Where can you put in the R134....can you do it at the compressor somehow..... or do I have to put in a new line which has this fitting?

a quick question......

Has someone already converted the '92 SC's R19 system? The reason I ask is because that's how it comes stock..... and the connector (for R19 anyway) is on the passenger side, toward the back, near the shock tower, and probably hidden under the heater hoses. If the system has been retro-fitted for R134 and they routed the lines differently, then your guess is as good as mine.......

Have a 92 SC....where near the back on the driver's side (which is on my 89 and 91) I see the low pressure side of the A/C where I've installed the walmart fitting to charge 134......I can't find an access point.....all there is is straight pipe. I've searched everywhere for a fitting on the low pressure side.

I think you meant passenger side. On the 92, I can't imagine that they would change the routing and hoses from the 89,90,91 models. The stock setup SHOULD have your suction line hooked up to the outlet of the accumulator and the R12 fitting SHOULD be capped with a black plastic cap. The accumulator is almost touching the firewall and is a black (or silver) canister with a pair of 1/2" tubes coming out of it. The rear of that canister connects to an aluminum tube coming out of the firewall (that's your evaporator outlet). The front of the canister connects to the suction line. These are both spring-lock connectors. OK... the charging port SHOULD be on the metal part of the suction line about 4-6" in front of the spring lock fitting.

If its not there, it may be possible to charge into the accumulator, but you won't be able to attach a r134a fitting since that's the pressure switch port. That may make it not possible.

Look dude, here's something you should know and then you can make an informed decision as to what you will do. These kits are compressor killers because they get you going fast at the expense of your system longevity. If you didn't flush the system, pull a vaccuum, reoil, and then charge, chances are good that you will have moisture get into the system and that is what does them in.
I almost bought one of these kits, but decided to ask a few questions.. what I learned convinced me that they were not worth the risk to me.

I have to agree, your putting supreme future bucks in jeopardy doing that Wal Mart thing. That is a quick death fix unless you happen to have many horseshoes buried and luck out.

That low side fitting should be right in front of the receiver dryer near the firewall, like it was said it is sometimes buried by the cap on the shock tower and other hoses and electrical wire bundles. It is part of the suction line that goes from the condensor through the compressor to the reciever dryer. I just put in a new suction line from Ford and that connector is in the same place as the old one right where we have mentioned.

89-93 have the exact same lines and location. 94-95 changes in that the safety pressure switch is no longer on the receiver dryer but on the suction line right where it connect to the condensor.

Last edited:
yep....it is there....packed under the hoses....and strangely inverted 180 degrees (straight down into the shock tower) from what I have on my other SCs. Why's that?

It's damn near inaccessible....I wonder if there is any way to patch on something to make it accessible.

Regarding walmart cheapo 134 charge systems.....all I've had is unbelievable good results....in over a half dozen of my cars....for friends....neighbors....I lost count. Literally 10 years or more of total life and many miles if you added it all up.

I will also tell you this....the only thing I've ever done is bleed off any excess R12.....never was much anyway....(and it goes out of old cars regardless due to leaks, so what's the difference, not much).....and put in the new stuff. No scientific purging.

Recently, on a daytona which had just barely lost its cooling, I didn't even let anything out...I just mixed the 134 in.....oh yeah...it's not supposed to mix.....well just one small can and it's been ice cold all summer especially through this recent jersey heat wave..... I take that car cause it's ice cold (and don't want to press the SC in the heat). I'll keep you posted when that 134/12 combo (R73?) goes south.

But this type of conversion has been done on 3 other SCs with over 100K combined miles with absolutely no problems. I also noted the new stuff with the "max cool" and sealer and oil also sealed up the old ford o rings so I'm not adding nearly as much...at the most one small can each summer.

R134 and R12 are incompatible, and putting r134 into an existing system that is charged with R12 is a sure way to damage your compressor. It may work for a while, but sooner or later, you'll be looking at some expensive repairs. Of course, if you plan on getting rid of the car in the near future, you may never see any problem.

If you do the r12 to r134 conversion, then its important to fully purge the r12 system of all mineral oil. Since mineral oil and the r134 oil aren't compatible at all.

George

I couldn't find the fitting on my 92 either. I looked everywhere. SO i ended up fillin it on the port under the pressure switch. I unscrewed the switch, put the new fitting on and filled it. After i was done i just took the fitting off, and put it all back together. Works fine. For the past 2 days i still look for the real low side fitting...but its no where to be found. If you fill it the way i did...you have to make the compressor turn on. I used a wire and jumped the switch to make it come on while i filled it, seeing that it wasn't connected so it didn't know when to turn on.

That's the kind of workaround I was looking for...thanks fastsc.

Liked the burnout pictures...what's your solution to tire hop?

You might want to check again by the shock plastic cover....that's where the low side access was positioned upsidedown. I had to move the shock cover to get any clearance.

In the end it didn't matter, the compressor is leaking.

But by me the local junkyard has compressors for $50, guaranteed for 30 days. And as far as the 134/12 mix...it's been going for 2 seasons with no problem.

ya

ya i also found that fitting....upside down. there was no way to fill it. But it's been working fine now the way i filled it. As for wheel hop....i dont really get that much. Sometimes i spin 1st spin 2nd and chirp 3rd. other times i get wheel hop 1st and chirp 2nd and 3rd. At the track i did better when i got wheel hop at the launch. Dont try to shift early...just ride it out until 5100 and hit second. In those burn outs, those were junk tires the night before i got new ones...and the tread separated from the tires...haha. In a brake stand...i get wheel hop right at the beginning but then they go away.

It's tight....but if you take off the plastic shock cover, and pry the line a bit away...you can get the fill hose in there.

Whoa....chirp 3rd....your car has to be good for 13s if you can do that....

Back