upshift light

ThunderDave

I did a little romp in drive (3rd gear) last night that started around 75 mph. The upshift light came on around 4100 rpms. Is that normal? I thought 5000 rpm was redline. Wow, I looked down at the speedo and couldn't believe the car had gotten to that speed in just a few seconds. :eek: :D :cool: The ported heads really make a difference. ;)

But is it normal for the upshift light to come on that early and should it be shifted then or run up to 5000 rpms?

Thanks!

RadiumSC said:
I did a little romp in drive (3rd gear) last night that started around 75 mph. The upshift light came on around 4100 rpms. Is that normal? I thought 5000 rpm was redline. Wow, I looked down at the speedo and couldn't believe the car had gotten to that speed in just a few seconds. :eek: :D :cool: The ported heads really make a difference. ;)

But is it normal for the upshift light to come on that early and should it be shifted then or run up to 5000 rpms?

Thanks!

It's not a shift indicator, it's a warning to reduce the engine rpms within something like 20 seconds or the computer will start cutting fuel. The rpms do sound a little lower than normal, but I believe the engine coolant temp could have something to do with what rpms it comes on. It's supposed to prevent overheating the motor and causing damage, but I used to just ignore it until I had it deleted with a chip.

Shift about 500 rpms after peak HP.

David

David Neibert said:
Shift about 500 rpms after peak HP.

David
To expand upon David's statement, NEVER shift into OD at WOT and at the top of 3rd.
Also, 500 RPMs should be used as a reference and will vary from car to car. Gear spacing has a lot to do with the what RPM to shift at.

Paul

BT Motorsports said:
To expand upon David's statement, NEVER shift into OD at WOT and at the top of 3rd.
Also, 500 RPMs should be used as a reference and will vary from car to car. Gear spacing has a lot to do with the what RPM to shift at.

Paul

Yeah...good points Paul.

David

Shift to OD question.

Why shouldn't you shift to OD at WO throttle?

Are the stock trans parts that weak?

Doug

I had just cranked up the car about 10 minutes before that, so I don't think it was too hot. I did let off the gas before shifting into OD. It's got the stock gearing, 3.27s.

SC Spyder said:
Why shouldn't you shift to OD at WO throttle?

Are the stock trans parts that weak?

Doug

Doug,

Yes...Even on the most expensive Lentech AOD, the OD band will not handle a WOT upshift. It's just not strong enough....so if your driving an SC with an AOD, the race ends at the top end of 3rd gear.

David

Yea my upshift light comes on at around 4000rpm in 3rd also. But i just ignore it and keep on pedaling up to 5200 or so

David Neibert said:
Means your not running it hard enough.:D

David

LOL! David, you're right. In my 5-speed, the shift light will come on in 4th right around 115 mph and it will stay on until shifting to 5th.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 4.6 LX sport

And what if you are already in overdrive going fast as hell but the upshift light comes on? I have petal left but no more gears to shift up to.

damn upshift light comes on way to often if you ask me. I am probably right about in my power band in 4th and it comes on. Its kinda annoying but it lets me know when I'm going fast

What the heck are you guys talking about? :confused:

My AOD will NOT shift into OD at WOT. I MUST let off the gas a bit to allow the shift. And another thing... I cannot go WOT in OD without the damn thing down-shifting no matter WHAT speed I'm doing :(

Paul93SC said:
What the heck are you guys talking about? :confused:

My AOD will NOT shift into OD at WOT. I MUST let off the gas a bit to allow the shift. And another thing... I cannot go WOT in OD without the damn thing down-shifting no matter WHAT speed I'm doing :(

That's how it's supposed to work and with a Lentech VB it works the same way. However...if you install a trans-go shift kit it will allow WOT upshifts into OD and will hold OD once you reach a certian speed. It's nice being able to do it, but it's very hard on the tranny and I would not reccomend doing it with a 300 plus rwhp car.

David

yea and remember ...as my wife discovered...in a manual once the upshift light comes on and you are no longer at WOT...OD is right/forward..not backward:eek:

David Neibert said:
However...if you install a trans-go shift kit it will allow WOT upshifts into OD and will hold OD once you reach a certian speed.
Ahh, OK... I wasn't aware of that.

I don't think RadiumSC has that to worry about (seeing as he has a B&M shift kit), or does he?

just curious David...Do you manually shift your aod when you drive it...I had to with my old Titanium one when it was cold becuse it would not engauge....I would manually go thru the gears till the tranny got warm....not beating on it....and then it would shift fine on its own...don't remember when the up-shift light came on though.....except when the HB snout broke:D

Back