Tranny problems

thundrburd

My tranny on my 95 has started slipping a little when it is cold , and mainly just when I am going around a turn, but the other problem is , when I get on it, shifting into second is a bit weird, it will like drag out and then hit into second pretty hard, almost like it has a shift kit on it, which it doesnt, and sometimes it will shudder a little before it hits second, can anyone help with what is going on ?? thanks

Sounds like the filter is clogged with the particles from the blown roller clutch. Time for a rebuild or preferably better replacement.
Alan

well it still drives right now, so I guess as long as I dont get on it, hopefully it will last a little longer, I was thinking about when it goes getting a rebuild, but I want it to be stronger if I'm going to be spending the money, so what should I go with, I guess they sell stronger parts for the sc tranny ?

would changing the filter and fluid be a good idea or a bad Idea ?? I would like it to last as long as possible ? thanks

Tony,

IMHO, changing the filter and fluid would be a good idea. While doing so, you'll be able to see if there is any debris in the filter and pan. If you can get ahold of a 97+ pan and filter with the deeper sump, that wouldn't be a bad idea either.

-Rod

racecougar said:
Tony,

IMHO, changing the filter and fluid would be a good idea. While doing so, you'll be able to see if there is any debris in the filter and pan. If you can get ahold of a 97+ pan and filter with the deeper sump, that wouldn't be a bad idea either.

-Rod

IMHO ? dont know what that means , but could I get the 97 + pan and filter from the auto parts store ? or do I have to find the pan from a yard ? it isnt really that hard to change the fluid in a tranny is it ? I change my oil all the time, so I coudnt imagine it being to much harder than that. also if there are are particles in there, I am assuming that will mean its about shot right ? I would like to get as much life out of it as I can so. Thanks

I know you can get the filter at the auto parts store, but I think you'd have to get the pan from a junkyard or the dealership. Changing the fluid is a messy job, but it isn't difficult at all. I just changed the fluid in my 94 yesterday. It's normal to see a little clutch material in the bottom of the pan (it will be like a light black film on the bottom of the pan), but if you actually see particles in the pan, that isn't good.

-Rod

racecougar said:
I know you can get the filter at the auto parts store, but I think you'd have to get the pan from a junkyard or the dealership. Changing the fluid is a messy job, but it isn't difficult at all. I just changed the fluid in my 94 yesterday. It's normal to see a little clutch material in the bottom of the pan (it will be like a light black film on the bottom of the pan), but if you actually see particles in the pan, that isn't good.

-Rod

so if I got one from the dealer I would just have to ask for a tranny pan for a 97 t bird ?? I guess 3.8 ?? would you go with motorcraft filter too ? to change the fluid all you have to do is drop the pan right ?? and the filter is right there once you get the pan off ? do you have to use any type of sealer when you put the pan back on ? I've always heard that changing the fluid after so many miles is bad.

Yep, just ask for a pan and filter for a 97 3.8L Tbird.

To change the fluid, just drop the pan. If your torque convertor has a drain plug, you can pull that to drain it as well. The filter will be clearly visible when you remove the pan, and it just pops out. Make sure that you get the rubber gasket that holds the filter in place to come out with the old filter. The pan should have a reusable gasket on it (no need for any sealer).

Changing trans fluid that is WAY overdue for a change is a debated topic. Usually, if I'm worried about the new fluid breaking debris loose inside the trans, I'll change the fluid, drive it for a 100 miles or so, and change it again.

-Rod

Back