switch under dash?

x182dan

So I was wiring my car up for gauges on the piller and noticed that I have some sort of what looks to be an aftermarket switch on my car. I have a white wire and a black wire going to it. Its been off for as long as I have owned the car what could it be for? Bypass factory alarm maybe? The car has an aftermarket alarm, remote starter, remote door looks and remote trunk popper. Any ideas? Just wondering why there would be a switch there

tbirdaj said:
Most likely the valet switch

I agree... sounds like a Valet switch. My 89 has the dealer installed Remote Keyless Entry System with the same switch.

From the Remote Keyless Entry System operating instructions....

VALET SWITCH:

The car can be started normally at any time by turning the Valet switch to the on position, even when the vehicle is entered without using the transmitter.
By turning the Valet switch to the off position , the vehicles starter will be locked out automatically 2 minutes after the ignition is turned off or when the Lock button is pressed on the keyfob

Hope this helps.

Bryan

SuperChicken89 said:
I agree... sounds like a Valet switch. My 89 has the dealer installed Remote Keyless Entry System with the same switch.

From the Remote Keyless Entry System operating instructions....

VALET SWITCH:

The car can be started normally at any time by turning the Valet switch to the on position, even when the vehicle is entered without using the transmitter.
By turning the Valet switch to the off position , the vehicles starter will be locked out automatically 2 minutes after the ignition is turned off or when the Lock button is pressed on the keyfob

Hope this helps.
Bryan

its been off as long as I have owned it. I have not noticed the starter being locked after 2mins. I have never noticed the locks locking or anything

Is your car an auto?? My car has a switch un der the dash too, found it by my shoe lace catchin at flippin it, then my tranny wouldnt shift at all from park, like tryin to shift it without ur foot on the brake,anyhow , the last owner got it stolen bla bla, its kinda cool, u could flip the switch and no matter what u cant shift it from park, thats my underdash hidden switch.

With my switch in the "ON" position, it will start regardless whether the doors have been unlocked with the remote or with the key. With the switch in the "OFF" position, the car can only be started if the doors have been unlocked with the remote. The general idea of the Valet switch is that when you valet park the car you give them just a key without the remote.

Bryan

i found it when I pulled the drivers side kick panel off. I do have an automatic tranny but I have always had to apply the brake to pull it from park

Back