Mark VIII half shafts

Daspanka

Will Mark VIII axles work on an SC? I may be able to pick up axles and brakes with a center section and was curious as to how much I can use. I have a '95.
Thank you!

Daspanka

Depending on what changes you want to make you can use everything. You will need spring perches to use the control arms everything else should be the same,but the differential in the markVIII is open.
Alan

Dirtyd0g said:
You will need spring perches to use the control arms...
Alan

Not entirely true. On my road race SC I have the MarkVIII arms on it and dont have those machined spring perches on them. The springs dont have enough travel to move or come out of the arms. Now maybe you would want to run them to be safe but there have not been any troubles yet on my road racer.

Shane

When I first installed the Mark 8 rear LCA's about four years ago, I noticed a couple things. Without the perches, the rear end will sit about 1/2" lower. Also, without the perches, the springs may not have room to pop out of the cups in the LCA's, but they definitely have room to move around in the cups.

I went with the perches to keep the springs in place and maintain the ride height I was after.

-Rod

Thanks, Guys

On the Diff, I was just going to put a rebuilt locker and new 3:73 gear in. I had seen the perches but didn't know if they were necessary or not. I actually wouldn't mind if the rear sat down another 1/2" as the Eibachs on my car have the front slightly lower than the back already. I saw some aluminum perches for sale around here but seems like they were very expensive.
How about the Mark VIII spindles, hubs and brakes? Are they a direct bolt on? Aren't the Mark VIII rear brakes slightly larger?

AFAIK MarkVIII brakes are the same size as SC. SC and thunderbird sports came with 16 inch wheels and larger front brakes than the LX cars however I only know of one size on the rears.
Alan

How about the Mark VIII spindles, hubs and brakes? Are they a direct bolt on?

Yes, but they offer no advantage over what you have now. Actually, the rotors are much thinner then the SC ones.

Thomas

I swapped a whole mark8 knuckle onto my sc last month. Exactly the same. If you go to the parts store or a junkyard tbird and mark8s share the same parts

racecougar said:
When I first installed the Mark 8 rear LCA's about four years ago, I noticed a couple things. Without the perches, the rear end will sit about 1/2" lower. Also, without the perches, the springs may not have room to pop out of the cups in the LCA's, but they definitely have room to move around in the cups.

I went with the perches to keep the springs in place and maintain the ride height I was after.

-Rod
Do you know what the weight is on the SC LCA's & also the weight on the mark8's with the perches? If you swap the Mark8 IRS in an MN12 couldnt you use the mark8 springs so you dont need the perches??? I heard the spring perches were kinnda heavy.

PReDiTR91 said:
Do you know what the weight is on the SC LCA's & also the weight on the mark8's with the perches? If you swap the Mark8 IRS in an MN12 couldnt you use the mark8 springs so you dont need the perches??? I heard the spring perches were kinnda heavy.

I didn't weigh the parts when I swapped them out, so I don't know the weight differences. I can say that the perches were not very heavy though. Mark 8's had airbags rather than springs from the factory, which is the whole problem.

-Rod

The MarkVIII that I am either parting or selling as a whole as some convertion done to it where it no longer has air ride but conventional setup like whats on our MN12's. Oh and there is no spring perch on the backs either.

Shane

Back