Low speed fan?

Dustin Yenny

I was playin' around under the hood of my '91 and I noticed with the climate control on Max A/C and at 60 degrees the radiator fan does not come on, my A/C does not work. The car always runs around M. It works its way up to the M and then it will come down a letter or so. I think the stat is stock 195 but I am not going to mess around and put a 180 in after what happened on my '89. Should my car be running cooler even with the stock 195 stat? Should the low speed fan kick on even though my A/C is inop?

I just watched the car do its thing. The only time I see a fan come on is when the guage gets to the M, the fan is not on for very long. The fan goes off when the temp guage is right between the O-R. It just repeats that. When I am driving the guage is always around the M, sometime it will come down to the O-R but it usually rides around M even on the highway. Maybe I should swap the fan or fan relay from my '89?

My freinds 90 runs in the same are as yours...Seems to hot..Underhood temp wooahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...However his fan does go on when ac is on

I remember reading in a post that the low speed should come on around the N on the stock guage. This got me a little worried since the fan doesn't come on with the A/C as it is suppose to and I watched the fan while the car was running and no fan kicked on until it was up to the M.

Your low speed fan is coming on right where it should, at the M which is abour 220 degrees and the high speed kicks in past the M at about 227 degrees. This is normal operation and a 180 stat will do nothing to change this. Having the EEC tuner to modify the set points for the fan can change this or you follow XR7 Daves FAQ on the other SC board and set it up with external temp switches.

It is supposed to go on low speed when you turn on your A/C, providing the compressor is coming on. If you are low on freon or the clutch fuse is pooched and the compressor does not come on neither will the low speed fan. Also after something like 47mph the low speed fan shuts off even with the A/C on.

I find nothing surprising about what your experiencing, until you modify the fans or get a more efficent larger rad or the combination off all of those that is how these babies run. On the highway they usually do run cooler much depending on what direction the wind is blowing versus where the nose of the vehicle is pointed allowing air to blow through the rad.

Cooling System

I recenely changed the thermostat to a 180 degree. Before i changed the thermostat i would occasionaly hear the fan turn on when driving in the city and the needle would stay between the N and O in "NORM". Now that i have changed to a 180 degree thermo and added the Water Wetter along with 50 % Antifreeze 50 % Water. The temp needle occasionaly reaches the N in "NORM" when driving during traffic hours. When i am cruising in the freeway between 65 - 80 m.p.h. it stays in the first slash after the blue "C" (left side) letter and the "N" in norm. the 180 degree thermostat along with the gasket was less then $10. In my oppinion a worthy and economic investment..
:D

The Fan should come with the AC regardless of the compressor is on, or there is any freon in the system (as long as you are not up to 47 mph or what ever speed it shuts the fan off at). It does this assuming you have sufficient airflow though the condenser and rad to remove the heat from them. I used the AC switch to turn on the fan when I wanted. It always comes on with either the Max or Normal settings or the defroster. If you don't have the fan coming on when you turn the AC on then you probably don't have it cycling when it gets to the low speed temp either. I am pretty confident that you are hitting the high-speed temp and if that's the case, then you are running to hot. The relay in the IRCM might be bad or the fusible link might be bad (Les, are both the high and low speed run from the same fusible link or are they separate? Or was it a fuse holder?). Or you could have a bad fan, they are 2 separate windings.

Jeff

Thanks for the replies everyone. I might try swapping the IRCM from my '89. It seems that a fan should come on before the car gets up to the M. I was reading through old posts and one said the low speed should come on around the N. I don't know if that holds any truth or not. I don't plan on changing thermostats, not after my experience with the '89....I don't have any use for two parts cars, lol! So if thats where stock SC temps run so be it. It just doesn't make any sense that going 70-75 on I-80 the car was running the same temp. It would get to the M come down to O-R back and forth probably because the fan was bringing it down.

220 degress for the low speed, 227 for the high speed. That's right out of the manual. The N in NORM is nowhere near 220 degrees and it will never come on at that temp unless the EEC has been altered by a program to change the set points.

Follow Les.

The low speed fan normally comes on at the M, not N. You must have been reading something wrong about the N.

Jon

OK, when I drove the car back from the repair shop (~100 miles) on the highway the temp was around M. I just got back from a good 50-60 mile trip and 70-75 mph on the highway the temperature is around N-O. When I got off the interstate and sat through a few lights, the temp came up to the M and the fan kicked on. I assume the car is acting normal.

I'd have to agree with LES on this one. The 180 tstat does nothing to lower your temp. It simply opens sooner. I have been watching my fan activate recently and it does kick in at the 'M' in NORM which is approx 220 deg. The 'N' is about 195 deg. The cooling system is working properly when the fan activates at the 'M', even though it seem and feel too hot. About the AC. My ac was shot for about 6 months. When I hit the AC switch, the fan never turned on. Once I replaced the pump and had it charged, it fan turns on every time I hit the AC.

Dustin I don't think you need to do anything to you SC besides fixign your AC. If the temp that the fan is activating at is to hot for comfort, I recommend installing a cool fan switch. It works great for me.

Yeah, I am fine with the temperature. Just wanted to know if it was normal. My SHO and any other car I have owned always ran below the midde of the guage. I put a 180* stat in the SHO and it would run N-O. I put a 180* stat in my '89 SC after I ran flush through the cooling system and it could never even leave the C (COLD) mark. That was about the end of the head gaskets in the car. It looked like the previous owner used Bars Leak and when I ran the flush through the system it probably flushed the Bars Leak from the hole in the head gasket. Thanks for all the input on the subject. I don't plan to fix the A/C, at least not now. I would rather open the windows and sunroof. Thanks again.

Back