rpm's are higher than normal at cruising speeds

HappyHourHero

ok, normally when i am driving 70 mph i am at 2 and a half rpms. most of the time now i am at almost 3. but every now and then it goes like it should be. i don't have any clue what is causing this. its not my tires or else it would go back to how it normally goes and i accounted for any hills too. my car is running ok but i think i have an overcharging alternator and an abs lights on. any ideas, its getting worse.

thanks

5 spd or auto? If it's an auto, how long has it been since it was serviced? Sounds to me like the lock up on your torque convertor kicking in and out. Have a good tranny guy check it out.

Jake

Is the engine really revving higher, or is it just the tach reading incorrectly ? If the first, maybe you have a slipping clutch, if the second, your tach signal is getting messed up intermittently, a few things could cause that.

cheers
Ed N.

hmm, i think the engine is actually reving higher. but i do get great acceration at the higher speeds even in just 5th. the clutch is about 2 years old, i am getting my engine mounts replaced this week i'll have him check out the clutch as well.

thanks

Back