Cranks but won't fire

Lewis

Need Help,

Just finished a rebuild and engine swap on a 89 SC. Went to crank it up for the first time. It cranks really slow. No fire. Any guesses?
I'm thinking I might have the cam position sensor out of position. That would throw off the timing. I did replace that domed anti tamper bolt (PITA) with a standard hex head so I can reach down there and loosen it and then turn the senor a tad. I did use the special alignment cam position tool when I installed it, so I don't think I'm off by that much. If that is the problem.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lewis

As long as you were @TDC on the compression stroke with the cam syncro tool in place you should be right on. check fuel. Do you hear the fuel pump and have pressure to the fuel rail? Check for spark? Remember that these cars fire 2 plugs at once. When cranking the car do you see a upshift light lit on the dash? Just check every connection you can find and make sure all fuses are good under the dash and under the hood.

fuel pump

Another similar problem in this forum------. As said, check pressure (and check for fuel) at the shrader valve on the rail. Real good chance you are not pumping fuel to the rails. No doubt that the fuel lines have been emptied on your rebuild/replace. This is kinda basic before you go beating your head against the wall for other problems :D

YB

Instructions in the book say 26 degrees ATDC, Not TDC, so which is correct? I did the 26.

Thanks
lewis

Lewis said:
Instructions in the book say 26 degrees ATDC, Not TDC, so which is correct? I did the 26.

Thanks
lewis
I beleave your right. I work on to many engines.

Back