MP FMIC Directions = Worst Directions Ever

Toms-SC

:mad: rant...

Just a warning to those getting a Magnum Powers front mount intercooler. Get prepared for the worst directions you will ever read. They appear to be guide lines and not actual directions based off of their vagness. This vagness has now cost me numerous hours and one lower rad hose. I only hope I modified the transmission cooler lines properly. I question if he actually installed one of these himself.

For example:
"Buy 2 feet of transmission cooler line."
Yea, thats all he wrote. He does not tell you how to modify them.

"Modify lower rad hose to fit"
Ok, how about some pictures or what I should be changing exactly

"Nows a perfect time to install the optional pusher fan. Install using the hardware provided"
Geese, thanks

:mad:

I thought they were pretty good directions, and didn't have any problems except for breaking my power steering dipstick.

David

That's what this website is for. If something in the instructions isn't clear, ask away. I'm sure someone else who has installed the kit can help you out. The answer might even already be here and could be found by searching.

If not, why not make some notes as you are making it fit and write your own install guide to post up here. That would help the next guy.

Hose

One detail that took me days to figure was the radiator hose.
After several calls, they gave up on me, and said use the damm OEM hose.
Well, yeah if you had the forsight where the radiator attaches to the IC,
since there where no dimensions from RAD outlet to Engine inlet, when I did it.
The directions I had no mention of lower radiator location (height), in relation to attachment to IC.

If I used OEM hose, as repeated told it would hit the fan belt.
I drove hours to different stores getting OEM hoses(bought 3). Finally made my own see Pic.

Attachments

• Hose1.JPG
    Hose1.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Excellent,

Besides adding the splice did you modify anything else with the stock hose?

No, just cut the hose and inserted galvanized pipe, removed spring (since pipe prevents collapse under load)
One could also put a phenolic plastic strip between rad and IC, to retard heatsoak.
Also, use a thru bolt for the two that hold the top of the IC to the frame, as the treaded bolts tend to loosen up, faster than I care for.

Last edited:
sail7seas said:
No, just cut the hose and inserted galvanized pipe, removed spring (since pipe prevents collapse under load)
One could also put a phenolic plastic strip between rad and IC, to retard heatsoak.
Also, use a thru bolt for the two that hold the top of the IC to the frame, as the treaded bolts tend to loosen up, faster than I care for.

You should write up a proper set of directions for this kit! Thank you! :)

sail7seas said:
One detail that took me days to figure was the radiator hose.
After several calls, they gave up on me, and said use the damm OEM hose.
Well, yeah if you had the forsight where the radiator attaches to the IC,
since there where no dimensions from RAD outlet to Engine inlet, when I did it.
The directions I had no mention of lower radiator location (height), in relation to attachment to IC.

If I used OEM hose, as repeated told it would hit the fan belt.
I drove hours to different stores getting OEM hoses(bought 3). Finally made my own see Pic.

That was the killer for me. I had to reinstall the stock rad to find out the height of the lower outlet, so I could mount my aluminum rad to the IC in the proper place to obtain the right height. And I'll have to try that trick for the hose, as my hose is about a half inch from rubbing the belt.

Well after checking my power stearing filler neck, its floating about 1/4 an inch above where its suppose to be clipped down. There is no way to make this work. I will have to rig up a filler neck delete cap.

seems to be many people run this kit, and you seem to be the only one to have a problem, As with any "bolt on" there is always some additional modification that is needed. Many hipo aftermarket parts come with no or little instructions. I got a kit from AJE, Tubular K-member, A-arms, coil over struts, and drag brakes. no instructions included. same with my Art Carr tranny with transbrake, manual valve body, scattershield. i can go on and on. when it comes to major aftermarket mods, most manufactures realize that their buyers are either mechanically inclined and can figure out the problems on their own, or if the aren't mechanically inclined they will pay a mechanic to do so. I give you credit for giving it a try on your own, you saved money, but you don't have to talk bad about a company because you could not figure it out. if you needed help just ask people on here, they will guide you through it.

My stock lower radiator hose worked fine. You can buy a Ford power steering cap/dip stick at Autozone that fits perfect. The biggest pain for me was getting the "J" shaped pipe connected on the passenger side IC outlet. The optional pusher fan mounts onto the AC condensor with zip tie style mounts.

It really wasn't that difficult to install and compared to something like swapping a tranny it was easy.

David

When I got mine it didn't even have any instructions in it. I just assumed there were none. It wasn't until about 6 months later I found out there were supposed to be any. :)
Mine went together fine. I didn't have to do anything to the lower radiator hose either.

Kevin Leitem said:
1) seems to be many people run this kit, and you seem to be the only one to have a problem,
2) but you don't have to talk bad about a company because you could not figure it out.

1) Seems to me I might be the only one speaking up about it. I had problems with my MAG III but did not say a thing, only posted the fix to it.
:rolleyes:

2) Figure it out? All he had to do was mention the fact that in some cases the power dipstick tube thingy does not fit. It's all of these 'after the fact' details that lead to a very frustrating time. When you pay X amount of dollars for a product you would expect a certian level of competence from the manufracter.

It's real nice to see my pusher fan came with the hardware....not. He must have forgotten to send that out. Not at a loss I guess, right on the SPAL box it says not to use zip ties on a fan greater than 10". :p

I added a small section of a sink trap to my lower rad hose to extend it works fine, has anyone ever used the flexible chrome piping for this?

Power steering - Check your local parts store in the Help section I was able to get a power steering filler tube without the long next. It fit perfect. I think Tempo's also use them without the filler tube.

shotbirdsc said:
1) I added a small section of a sink trap to my lower rad hose to extend it works fine, has anyone ever used the flexible chrome piping for this?

2) Power steering - Check your local parts store in the Help section I was able to get a power steering filler tube without the long next. It fit perfect. I think Tempo's also use them without the filler tube.

1) I cut a section about 3 1/2" out of 1 1/2" galvanized tubing. I cut the rad hose in half and had to shorten the bottom half (towards the rad) of tube a hair so there were no tube pinches.

2) I think Tempo's also use them without the filler tube. Thank you! I will look into this.

Kevin Leitem said:
seems to be many people run this kit, and you seem to be the only one to have a problem, As with any "bolt on" there is always some additional modification that is needed. Many hipo aftermarket parts come with no or little instructions. I got a kit from AJE, Tubular K-member, A-arms, coil over struts, and drag brakes. no instructions included. same with my Art Carr tranny with transbrake, manual valve body, scattershield. i can go on and on. when it comes to major aftermarket mods, most manufactures realize that their buyers are either mechanically inclined and can figure out the problems on their own, or if the aren't mechanically inclined they will pay a mechanic to do so. I give you credit for giving it a try on your own, you saved money, but you don't have to talk bad about a company because you could not figure it out. if you needed help just ask people on here, they will guide you through it.

Unfortunately,Im not as bright as you.I also found the instructions to be lacking in details and have run into the lower rad hose ,power steering filler tube breakage problem ,which resulted in a lot of hours of additional needless work.How hard would it have been to make the instructions complete considering the leg work should have been done during the install featured in the write up.

As for paying a mechanic for an install,these deficiencies would have resulted in several hundred dollars of needless additional expense.

I think many people with gripes about the product or install process keep quiet and silently fume about it.

A good idea on the FMIC would be to put in a couple of stud supports or bolts from the back for the top of the IC also before you put it in. I used the threaded screws that came with the kit but they pulled out at Norwalk and cut my upper rad hose when the engine torqued back. Or check out what Paul Brommel did on his mustang nice stainless supports.

http://www.bromell.com/the_stang.htm 1st or 2nd picture

Back