Quick oil change place charging for oil disposal?

W

WBK96

Quick oil change place charging for oil disposal?

I went to drop off some used oil, on the way to work, at this fast oil change place (can’t remember the name) and this kid said that they now charge $1? I know it’s only a dollar but aren’t they required by law or something to just take it and dispose of it?

Wes

Re: Quick oil change place charging for oil disposal?

They are not required buy law to do it. it was a courtesy. they have to pay to have it picked up from them. in some states they have to pay a fee just to store waste oil on the premises. then they run the risk of your oil being contaminated with other chemicals. waste oil that tests "hot" or contaminated can cost up to $3.00 a gallon to dispose of. I would pay the $1.00 and be happy.

It's a State thing. Depends on what your state does.

Minnesota has requirements and will reimburse the collector of the motor oil his disposal costs.

Minnesota Satute 325E.112

If you've got a Wal-Mart with an automotive center in your area take it there. I take all my used motor oil to Wal-Mart at no charge.

5.jpg

autozone can take up to five gallons a day from one person ABSOLUTELY FREE!! thats where i take all my old oil...... when it doesnt disappear that is

our county recycles it we put it on the curb next to our bins and they take it we have to mark it oil and I think there is a limit on how much you can put out at a time but its nice dont have to worry about it spilling in the car

Autozone pays for your used oil at .04 cents per quart, 5 gallon max will earn a cool dollar. :cool:

- Dan

That makes no sense, they actually get paid for it. I burn it in my shop for heat. I have a waste oil furnace.
Alan

I have a guy that drops off a 100 gallon tote at the shop. When I fill it up he comes and gets and drops off another. He heats his whole shop with waste oil. I wouldnt pay a dime to dispose of used oil.

Ken

Autozone pays for your used oil at .04 cents per quart, 5 gallon max will earn a cool dollar. :cool:

- Dan

that also depends on the autozone. the one i bring ours to accepts up to 4 30gallon tanks from us at a time. we have to give them a week to get rid of it and can bring another 4 tanks. they claim they get money for it, not much but to get paid. i should have made a drop around x-mas to im up to 7 tanks atm. hardest part is finding help to run it all, when it comes to real work everyone somehow has plans already. if i need a safety observer to sit there and drink beer and just watch incase something happens then everyone and there dog are able.

btw, most of that is due to my brother is a truck driver and changes his own oil. :)

Back