02 Mustang V6 M90...

89SCK@t

Discussing with the wife what we are going to do with the 89 w/257K miles, we are going with updating the mustang with an M90.

I have been going through AllData like crazy between the 89SC and the 02 mustang, I am seeing little to no difference between the two. Cam is a little better than the 89SC, longer duration, and a little more lift.

Internally, I know that the 02 will not be forged. So I am looking at changing the block from the 89 to the 02, and changing the Oil pan.

Motor mounts? I dont know if the mustang ones will bolt up to the SC block.

I'm still trying to see if the jackshaft and alternator assemblies will bolt up with no problem in the 02 engine bay...

Anyone attempt or in the middle of doing the same thing that can shed some light?

Thanks,

Stephen

The biggest difference is the 02 has splitport heads. You need to use the SC heads. Another big issue is the 02 has the returnless fuel system. Sensors may be an issue too.
If you were to do this with a 94-98 Stang the job is easy. On a 99+ Stang there's more involved.
IMO it's a step backwards going back to singleport heads because with the M90 you will gain very little horsepower (maybe 20rwhp or so) unless you do the heads and cam. Best option for you would be a Vortec or Procharger on the 02 engine which will put you close to 300rwhp.

Last edited:
adapting it to the 99+ mustang motors is not an easy task, custom fuel rail is needed and custom lower intake, or swap over tot he single port heads and SC fuel rail and then figure out how to convert your car to a return style fuel system. I think you could get away with using the SC fuel rail and just blocking the return line on the fuel rail(properly of course) I would get the adapter to convert the stock fuel fitting to an AN fitting, then cap the AN fitting. But doing all the work is not gonna gain youmuch HP, but it will give you a lot of TQ!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah baby!

I was aware of the head and intake difference, but not the fuel rail...

On the 02 are the injectors low or high impedence?

Back