changing tranny fluid

thundrburd

Ok, I am going to change my tranny fluid in my 95 sc, but when I was getting the stuff the guy at advanced said he had the same problem and a week later it went out, I got valvoline fluid for high milage trannsmitions, and a bottle of lucas tranny fix, what does everyone think ? is it a good idea to change it or should I just say piss on it an leave it until it blows, last time I checked the fluid it was stil red, so I assume that it wasnt burnt or anything, but any opinions would be appreciated, thanks

If it is an auto use only merconV fluid. I know the stick doesn't say it but thats what you need to use. If it is manual use gm syncromesh.
Alan

You said your tranny was slipping in another post, if I remember correctly. There is, to me, an old wives tale that if you replace the transmission fluid in an old transmission that has never had the fluid replaced that it will cause more problems. I think thats a major pile of bs, and maybe that "master wrench" at advance was alluding to that.

Beside the point, I did the same thing you did on my 3.8 n/a car with an AOD when I had it, just to squeeze some life out of it. New fluid, filter, and lucas. It helped alot, but the slip was still there and after it got warmed up, forget it. It was really only good for a point A to B car, but thats all I wanted out of it.

yeah , I am still kind of trying to decide, would it be better to just change the filter and put the old fluid back in it ? and maybe a quart of the lucas ? or if I change the filter , should I change the fluid too ? the fluid doesnt look real bad, its a little bit darker red, but not real dark, what do you guys think, thanks

If you aren't willing to do it right the first time then you're gonna get what you put into it......

well I have the tranny fluid already, but I have also been told to just put the old ~~~~ back in if it is burnt, but rod said to change it , and then in a hundred miles , change it again, what do you think of that idea ?? that doesnt sound like a bad idea at all, cause he said the new fluid will break away any loose particles and start to clog the filter, but changing it again will take care of it ?
thanks

If you are going to change it drain the pan and the converter then don't worry about it. That will get 90% of the fluid out it's about as good as you can do.
Alan

Add the lucas to your existing fluid and save up for a rebuild/replacement. It's been my experience that changing tranny fluid in a high mileage automatic that has NEVER had a change doesn't have a good affect on them. My old F100 started burning fluid shortly after the change and had to have a seal replaced. My 90 SC slipped when down shifting from OD to third. Adding a bottle of lucas tranny fix to the existing fluid help for about a year because it makes it a slush bucket which increases the fluid pressure. If you don't beat on it too hard, down the road it will go out and you'll have to rebuild or replace the tranny.

well I dont know for sure if it has ever been changed, it was a one owner car, and from the look of the fluid , it doesnt look too bad, its still a little red, but darker red than what it should be, but not real dark, kind of in between what it should be, and dark red, so it would appear it has been changed, but I dont know for sure

thundrburd said:
well I dont know for sure if it has ever been changed, it was a one owner car, and from the look of the fluid , it doesnt look too bad, its still a little red, but darker red than what it should be, but not real dark, kind of in between what it should be, and dark red, so it would appear it has been changed, but I dont know for sure
If you have one, did you check your TV cable to insure it's attached properly? The bushings on the throttle body are know for cracking. If that's OK then you have a 50/50 chance you can assist the transmission by adding the lucas tranny fix to the existing oil but it's still only a matter of time before it goes. If you don't know the history, changing the fluid, you might end up with a worse problem. You can't repair a transmission from a bottle of fluid so if you want to fix it right get it rebuilt or replaced.

Last edited:
Back