what octane does is the SC set up for?

The_Ghost

I am noticing that with 91 Octane, I tend to get a fair amount of ping.
Is the SC set up for 93 or is there just something up with mine?

Where would I get higher octane fuel in Southern CA (near Long Beach)

yes, premium fuel only. 93 should be just fine. We have 103 octane up the street but its $6.50 a gallon:rolleyes:

The_Ghost said:
I am noticing that with 91 Octane, I tend to get a fair amount of ping.
Is the SC set up for 93 or is there just something up with mine?

Where would I get higher octane fuel in Southern CA (near Long Beach)
You wont find higher octane unless you purchase race fuel. Given that is has been 100* or hotter this week, it is no surprise that your single IC is causing air charge temps to be too high and your engine to ping. Couple that with the gas here being some of the worst in the country and you are left with the choice of improving air charge temps, running 100 ocane at about $5.50 a gallon or backing down the timing.
All the above mentioned aside, you probably could stand a tune and bigger injectors (wouldn't be surprised if the stockers are gummed up).

Paul

Last edited:
Hard to believe but here in East Tennesse some of the Pilot gas stations sell 110 unleaded race fuel for $3.99 gallon!

Mike

Super XR7 said:
Hard to believe but here in East Tennesse some of the Pilot gas stations sell 110 unleaded race fuel for $3.99 gallon!

Mike

~~~~~ id have my car tuned for that and run it all the time being 93oct is like 3.35 here.

Super XR7 said:

Mike
110, wow, I have never seen better than 106 unleaded anywhere! I may have to stock up on some of that next time I pass through. If happen upon the locations, please be sure to post them.

Paul

Northshore Drive and Pellissippi Highway. Take I-40 to Pellissippi Hwy to Northshore drive. Look for the pump that says "Race Fuel" at the Pilot gas station.

Mike

BT Motorsports said:
All the above mentioned aside, you probably could stand a tune and bigger injectors (wouldn't be surprised if the stockers are gummed up).

Paul

Yeah, I am probably going to replace them with larger injectors. So far as a tune goes however, I am not sure how I would even go about that given the OBD I computer system.

My fuel mileage has kind of sucked lately, too, but I think that has more to do with my use of the go-pedal.

In an attempt to improve cooling, I have opened up that slot just below the headlights and neatly cut it out, filling in the rough spots with black paint. I left the two bars in the center and made them invisible with black paint. It looks fantastic and the bumper does not seem to be any weaker structurally, and that SHOULD bring down temperatures by permitting more air to get in.

So far as the gas quality goes, I have discovered just how ~~~~~~ some of the gas is here. Namely, Arco gas SUCKS. The car ran like ~~~~ when I had a tankful of Arco, I stopped and added $10 of 76 91 octane and the car ran a LOT better.

After adding a little bit of Lucas octane booster and adding more fresh 76/Conoco 91 octane, the ping has gone away, for the most part.

-Ghost

Last edited:
yes ive said it before

arco, and other cheap gases are not good, i bought a tank of premium arco, ran like crap.

premium chevron is all i use now.
every oil change a bottle of redline fuel injector cleaner work wonders.

right now i pay $3.17 for 91, for the price of octane booster ($10-15)
just buy race gas, or toluene or xylene.

110 Octane

I started using a blend of 40% Sunoco 110 and 60% Chevron 93, with a dose of Lucas Fuel treatment (nector of the Gods, IMHO). The 110 is leaded, but my cats are gone (thanks Wynn) and I don't mind changing the O2's out every now and then. Gives me about 100 octane rating. I HAVEN'T had a tune for it. We have an industrial park nearby that's empty on the weekends:). And I have made pull after pull @ 12lbs of boost for 1/8 mile in 95 degree heat without a single ping or the knock sensor (that I could tell) pulling a significant amount of timing. I'm running the stock "interheater" also. The usual octane "nay sayers" will be along soon to tell you you're all wrong, but do the math yourself:
Higher Octane+ knock sensor = more timing under boost

A tune to run the timing up a bit would nelp make more power overall though.

Merlon said:
arco, and other cheap gases are not good, i bought a tank of premium arco, ran like crap.

premium chevron is all i use now.
every oil change a bottle of redline fuel injector cleaner work wonders.

right now i pay $3.17 for 91, for the price of octane booster ($10-15)
just buy race gas, or toluene or xylene.

I have tried my hardest, I cannot find somewhere that sells either toluene OR xylene, and I can't find where to get some fricken 100 octane, either.

I am sure improving the stock interheater will help a lot. Or at least adding a fan should help significantly.

The_Ghost said:
I have tried my hardest, I cannot find somewhere that sells either toluene OR xylene, and I can't find where to get some fricken 100 octane, either.

I am sure improving the stock interheater will help a lot. Or at least adding a fan should help significantly.
You wont find toluene or xylene in Cali, it's considered very toxic and they really frown upon it being purchased without a permit. There are a few stations that sell 100 octane, but that is not the solution to your detonation. A relatively stock SC does not detonate, even with the poor fuel out here, you have an issue which you need to identify and repair. Don't expect miracles from an IC fan either.

Paul

theres a place where i live

BT Motorsports said:
You wont find toluene or xylene in Cali, it's considered very toxic and they really frown upon it being purchased without a permit. There are a few stations that sell 100 octane, but that is not the solution to your detonation. A relatively stock SC does not detonate, even with the poor fuel out here, you have an issue which you need to identify and repair. Don't expect miracles from an IC fan either.

Paul

called winchester auto
sells a mixture of the stuff you mix with gas
i cant recall the number or name, but its sold in by the liter, ill get that info maybe later tonight.:D

but when my car really misfired alot was when i had copper plugs in to long, now the cars using app764 plugs gapped at 050, no more misfire, no more spark blow out. new fuel filter, and seafoam, and redline. wr4104 wires from motorcraft

trying to say look into your plugs to see if thats the casue.
maybe even your maf needs a good cleaning.
takes about 2 minutes to take it out and clean it.

MAF is clean.
I figure I need to check into the spark plugs, but I'm afraid of what I'll have to take apart just to get at them :eek:

I am going to replace them with APP's, though, and throw in a new wireset, along with a set of replacement O2 sensors. Can you even get at all 6?

-Ghost

from what I have heard putting anything over 93 octane in a car is pointless unless the car is tuned for it. I have heard from many guys that race their cars that if you put higher octane race gas in your car your basically wasting money unless the car is tuned for it

Our first Nay Sayer

x182dan said:
from what I have heard putting anything over 93 octane in a car is pointless unless the car is tuned for it. I have heard from many guys that race their cars that if you put higher octane race gas in your car your basically wasting money unless the car is tuned for it

Your statement is true IMHO, but only if you ignore the knock sensor and the fact that it dynamically pulls timing when it senses ping. You NEED a tune to get the most out of high octane fuel, and actually loose a bit of power when not under boost if you are running the factory timing specs because the high octane fuel burns "cooler" and doesn't make as much power. What it DOES do is to allow more boost before the knock sensor pulls timing by delaying the point in which detonation occurs. I can really feel a difference in mine after everything is heat soaked. I think it makes the car more consistant as it heats up, but does not necessarily make more power overall without a tune. Probably wouldn't help at all and might hurt at the drag strip because most guys ice down thier IC's and tubes between runs. But for sustained running, like track days at a road course, or a long run on the interstate, I think it makes a big diference as heat soak sets in.

by pulling the wire out of the coilpack and seeing which cyl doesnt make it drop off?
I would be surprised as hell if the car is still pulling as strong as it does with just 5 cylinder.s

As strange as that sounds, thats an excellent idea, The injectors closest to the brake assembly get the least fuel, so If thier gummed up, it will mess up EVERYTHING.

Just a thought

The_Ghost said:
by pulling the wire out of the coilpack and seeing which cyl doesnt make it drop off?
I would be surprised as hell if the car is still pulling as strong as it does with just 5 cylinder.s
Stop being cheap and pony up your $15 bucks to read up on how to properly perform a cylinder balance test in the members section. You don't pull plug wires off.

Paul

Back