suspension bushings

bybowtie

Im going to replace all the bushings in the front end of my 93. Are there any recommendations out there?

For what? Brand? I usually stick with Spicer or Federal Mogul (TRW), but there is also Moog. I believe TRW is the only brand that differentiates between the SC and regular T-Bird lower control arms (SC's have a higher durometer bushing). I generally stick with name brand stuff. If it's made in the U.S.A. or Canada then you should be getting good quality. If you are going through everything you'll need:

- Upper Control Arms
- Lower Control Arms
- Sway Bar End Links
- Sway Bar Frame Bushings
- Outer Tie Rod Ends
- Strut Rod to Frame Bushings

If the car is rusty underneath then be prepared to fight with the lower shock to control arm bolts (search around here for more info on that). I will tell you that you can buy new shock bolts new at most parts stores which is what I usually end up doing after I cut mine off.

Ive done front end "rebuilds" twice now. Spray all the nuts and bolts down with PB blaster the day before, then again before you start working. Makes life easier. Also, get or borrow a wratchet wrench for the job. I think its 18MM for the upper control arms, makes life much easier. I plan to do the job yet again on my 90SC this winter. :)

Yes, you need an 18mm ratcheting wrench for the UCAs. Unless you like pain and frustration, in which case do it any way you feel like. I have a set from Craftsman that I like.

Back