Clutch Issues (Maybe?)

pearl95sc

So, in the few times that I've driven my car since putting in my new clutch, there have been issues. But being that I'm looking to get everything done correct and right this time, here's what I'm dealing with.

I installed a stock LUK clutch, pres. plate, along with a spec aluminum flywheel, and installed a new slave cylinder, because I broke off the bleeder screw trying to loosen the old one.

The problem I'm having is that I have the famous 1-2 shift grind, and when at higher speeds/rpms, i get grinds between gear shifts, on all gears. Now I have the same issues with both my normal tranny, and my spare, and I've tried mobil1 syn. atf, and syncromesh. All thoughts are welcomed. I was thinking that maybe a shim would be needed, but wasn't sure, especially given that all parts here were new. Anyone else come across this before?

Sell the super coupe and take the money you made and put it all into the civic. Then race it against my car and lose. Finally feel bad about losing but now at least you have no clutch issue. Problem solved.
Phil
What happens when you double clutch the 1-2 shift, still grind?

No matter how the shifting is, there is grindage, unless i speed shift, but then I usually get a small light grind at the end. And why you gotta go there on the civic. Face it, you like it.

shim

I also installed a Spec Alum flywheel and also had to do the job twice becuase I needed a shim. 0.100 inches worked perfect for me.

Bob

I know, Im thinking about doing some circle track racing next summer, and the four cylinder class is looking pretty inviting. "Stock" motor required though, all you have to do is have the glass out of the car and the driver side door has to be welded closed, other than that youre good to go. Got any ideas for a quick stock 4 cylinder, I personally want to go turbo mopar minivan but i doubt ill be able to find one. Oh yeah sorry to hijack the thread Uncle Ben, back to the discussion of tranny grindage.
Phil

Any info on where i can easily pick up one of these shims? It would make my life easier. Thanks already Martian Bob. Much appreciated.

And phil, Turbo dodge spirit, or plymouth acclaim. Slap a boost controller on em, and let loose. Boost it til you break it. Although, those turbo minivans are pretty impressive if you know how to work em.

da shim

I made my slave shim from a sheet of aluminum. Others have stacked multiple layers of sheet metal cut to shape.

You can also shim the flywheel instead of the slave cylinder. Tranny and clutch shops will carry these shimms they're pretty common.

Don't know if one has an advantage over. I've got a couple years on my slave shim and no issues.

Cheers
Bob

Alyn, When dose you clutch start to engauge? It should start at half or mid peddle. You would have thought they would have made the aluminum flywheel the same thickness as the original steel one. If it starts to engauge close to the floor you need a shim or 2. Might be best to shim it at the pressure plate as you dont need to pull the trans all the way out.

Back