heads

cko1986 said:
just changed head gaskets anyone know the proper torque specs for the new bolts
The proper headbolts for SC engines are torque to yield. Per the Ford manual it says to torque each bolt to 55 ft/lbs in proper sequence, then tighten another 90-110 degrees in sequence. Some advocate torquing in smaller increments to 55 ft/lbs, but the book doesn't say this. John

The 1994 Ford Shop manual has the following description ..

1. Advance half turn after gasket contacts sealing surface
2. Caution : Do not loosen all of the bolts at the same time, only work on one bolt at a time.

3.8L SC Engine

1. Tighten in four Steps :
a. 37 lb-ft
b. 45 lb-ft
c. 52 lb-ft
d. 59 lb-ft
e. back off all bolts one at a time 2-3 revolutions
f. Tighten long and short bolts in sequence as follows
- Tighten to 37-44 lb-ft
- Rotate an additional 180-200 degrees
- Go to next bolt in sequence

When cylinder head retaining bolts have been tightened using the above procedure, it is not necessary to retighten bolts after extended engine operation. However, bolts can be checked for tightness if desired.

Use some motor oil or moly lube on the bolt threads to achieve an accurate torque reading.

- Dan

Oh yeah .. if you didnt know the proper sequence, its ..

7 3 1 5

8 4 2 6

- Dan

how do you check a torque to yield bolt for tightness? What I mean is do they have a proceedure for that?

merkur said:
how do you check a torque to yield bolt for tightness? What I mean is do they have a proceedure for that?
Merkur - the bible says you may check tty bolts for tightness but does not tell you how to do it. I don't think it is possible to check with any accuracy. I think about all you could do is check to see if a bolt has loosened up since it was installed. You could pick a torque above 59 ft/lbs and see if it is at least that tight. John

Back