Catyletic converters

Young-SC-Owner

today my truck failed inspection due to no catyletic converters, i have headmann headders to glasspacks :D but im in dire need of catyletic converters
and i dont want to spend the outrageous price for a new one so if anyone has any converters with a 2" inlet i reckon it is or ones that will bolt up to 3" headders im saying all im gonna do is punch them anyways:eek: so cheap is the key so if anyone knows anyone that could help me out please do....thanks Tony

Any exhaust shop should be able to fit universal high flow's on there for you. Is it just a visual inspection you need to pass?

What kind of truck?

yes just a visual inspection, its an 83 f150 but it has a 1977 engine the requirements say that anything 81 and newer need cats..

Last edited:
In my state if u get farm tags or 12000lb tags u r exempt from smog in the few counties that have not done away with it.. luckely i live in one that never had it :) my truck exhaust is 2" duals with no cats or mufflers....

i dont have to have emissions, its just a visual look, i have to have them and i dont want to go hacking into the already fine(in my opinion) exhaust! i tryed to get passed using some *cough* other ways but they could lose their inspection liscense blah blah and my trucks MN plates expire this month and i cant get the title changed into my name OR new MO plates UNTIL i pass inspection:mad: :confused: :mad: :confused:

i dont think they would fall for that one...but dont they make glasspacks with cats in them??!?! mmm that might just be an idea....:p

AMD{H}unter: i dont want to jack with my exhaust its how they have it on there its perfect and i cant afford to have new exhaust made for it:(

One time long ago in Illinois, a crafty person I knew took apart two cats, cut them into two halves lengthwise, and welded them over the pipes on his car. I cant condone it though, cats are cheap these days and high flow cats dont restrict enough to matter. Junkyard cats, if you can find a yard to sell them to you, would be even cheaper. Then you could yank it back off and go back after inspection.

thats EXACTLY what i was thinking like cut them in half pull out ceramic and weld them over the pipe....not that i would do something like that:rolleyes:

Back